Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aligning multiple radius image frames to swap in different images?
RE: Scribus
I had a quick experiment with it... obviously, I need to RTFM.

I imported the rear of the card - created the image frame and 'get image'.
I published to 'printer format PDF'
test 1 - spot colours
test 2 - spot to process
test 3 - to screen format PDF

My screen displayed the images of 1 & 2 in a dull form.
As yet, it is not clear to me what these colour profiles mean.
Both 1 & 2 looked exactly the same on screen, so I guess, as you said, the printer should spec their requirements.

I noted your remarks on the usual suspects being light on spec info.
I guess it doesn't frighten people away... but neither does it help the graphic designer.

Publishing to PDF screen produced the vibrant result as per the original image.

I guess the major question is:
Does the screen view of the 'printer PDF' represent the final print output to card?

If it does, then perhaps the images could be slightly reprocessed, to counter the degredation likely in the printing process.
Perhaps I need to check out the Scribus forum, to gain more info.
Quote:Is it fair to say that everything other than photos is better when done with vectors... at least from a scalable perspective, and as you point out, printing?

Certainly text and graphics such as simple logos. some aspects of SVG images can be a problem, gradients for example, then a bitmap would be better.

Quote:I have just had a hellish experience with an image, that ultimately was redone in inkscape, and then converted to a high quality png, to maintain transparency.

Some things, especially simple biz cards are better done in Inkscape, Your example being mostly photographs, then using Gimp is equally good.

If your printing company takes RGB images then stick with that.
The next bit is just about CMYK conversions. Both Gimp and Inkscape are RGB editors and Scribus is one way of sending a printer a CMYK image as a PDF.

Quote:RE: Scribus
I had a quick experiment with it... obviously, I need to RTFM.

I imported the rear of the card - created the image frame and 'get image'.
I published to 'printer format PDF'
test 1 - spot colours
test 2 - spot to process
test 3 - to screen format PDF

My screen displayed the images of 1 & 2 in a dull form.
As yet, it is not clear to me what these colour profiles mean.
Both 1 & 2 looked exactly the same on screen, so I guess, as you said, the printer should spec their requirements.

You need to export as a PDF using pdf-X1a format. I read somewhere to avoid using spot colours, it increases the cost of printing dramatically.

Another short video https://youtu.be/_yutJ51qMJw 4 minutes.

Tacked a bit on the end about command line conversion using ImageMagick.
Sometimes you see cmyk jpg as an acceptable format. It can be done, best avoided but does make for smaller file size.