Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Angled Guides
Is it possible to create angled guides in Gimp? For example, I want a guide to go through point (x,y) at an angle of 22.5 degrees. I can't find a way to rotate a guide.
No, you can't. But you can have a straight path at any angle and use "View>Snap to active path" for something very similar.
OK, thanks
(10-21-2016, 11:28 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: No, you can't. But you can have a straight path at any angle and use "View>Snap to active path" for something very similar.

I need to snap a path to a straight line.  Can I create the straight path you mention then snap another new path to it?
(01-01-2018, 09:41 AM)un3k Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 11:28 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: No, you can't. But you can have a straight path at any angle and use "View>Snap to active path" for something very similar.

I need to snap a path to a straight line.  Can I create the straight path you mention then snap another new path to it?

Welcome to gimp-forum.net

Snap-to-active-path is really meant for snapping selections or moved layers. Just as easy to use your drawn in line.

Use guides and your original line. Set the guides in place and with View -> Snap to Guides enabled the path will snap to the intersection of the guides.

> Is it possible to create angled guides in Gimp? For example, I want a guide to go through point (x,y) at an angle of 22.5 degrees. I can't find a way to rotate a guide.

"Just wondering out loud": Can this be done with some kind of "function" in G'MIC?
GMIC edits layers and has nothing to do with guides. If you want slanted guides, you can use a path containing a (rotated) grid, and check "View>Snap to active path".
Interesting (to me) but possibly not a lot of use Wink

The development Gimp 2.9.x allows the user to rotate the canvas (an artists thing), unfortunately both grid and guides still align to the canvas edge.

However the paint tool does not, and the usual click then shift-click for straight lines works as expected.

[Image: Qmgt4A1.jpg]