Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket fill issues
Ive outlined a face and am now trying to fill it in. The bucket tool just fill sin the whole screen or fill it in and leaves the face outline...how do i just fill in the designated areas. Every tutorial i follow seems to work for them but not me...im so annoyed please help my non knowing self!!!
From your description I can't tell exactly what you did.

How did you outline the face? With one of the selection tools? The bucket fill will only fill the selected pixels.

If you outlined the face some other way please let us know how you did it.
Make sure that the "Fill whole selection" box is checked in the Tool options (and make sure that the selection is on the face, and not on everything outside the face (use Select>Invert if necessary))
As usual beaten to the post.

You have made a valid selection?

You have the fill selection option in bucket fill.

However there are other option apart from bucket fill. 
You can use the paint tool and the selection will constrain the area painted
or
Click and drag either FG or BG colour into the canvas.
(02-02-2017, 05:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote: In the tutorial they just ouline it with paint brush, enclose it, then fill it in. So i just outlined in paint brush then went to fill in. Thanks for helping a total noob everyone.

or

(02-02-2017, 05:25 PM)Blighty Wrote: From your description I can't tell exactly what you did.

How did you outline the face? With one of the selection tools? The bucket fill will only fill the selected pixels.

I outlined it with paintbrush bc they did it in the tutorial that way...it worked in the video. Im guessing thats where i screwed up? Thats strange bc ive watched this video 5-6 times and others they all do the same thing..wel i guess not the same since it worked.

heres my the file as i said lined with paintbrush

Attached Files
.xcf   mitch.xcf (Size: 524.49 KB / Downloads: 214)
Just guessing: in the video they used the pencil to illustrate because the selection outline doesn't show well in the video.

Use one of the selection tools, not the pencil. In your xcf there are large gaps at the neck and at the top of the head. Make sure you close these gaps. Then bucket fill.
(02-02-2017, 05:55 PM)N05AJ Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 05:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGZV3wWrjbM

its seems so straightforward

In the tutorial they just ouline it with paint brush, enclose it, then fill it in. So i just outlined in paint brush then went to fill in. Thanks for helping a total noob everyone.

or

(02-02-2017, 05:25 PM)Blighty Wrote: From your description I can't tell exactly what you did.

I outlined it with paintbrush bc they did it in the tutorial that way...it worked in the video. Im guessing thats where i screwed up? Thats strange bc ive watched this video 5-6 times and others they all do the same thing..wel i guess not the same since it worked.

heres my the file as i said lined with paintbrush
I haven't watched the tutorial, but I wonder if they added a transparent layer, then added the outline and the fill? That would explain why it worked in the tutorial the way the OP explained it.