Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Procedure Entry Point Error
I searched current questions but cannot find any reference to my problem here ..
it is 
For some reason (Overnight Basically) when I open GIMP, I get between 6 and 7 entry point errors. One of them is .......
One if them is 
The procedure entry point _cxa_throw_bad_array_new_length could not be located in the dynamic Link Library 
C:\Program Files\GIMP2\bin\icui18n56.dll

I updated my GIMP 2.8.16 and installed 2.8.20, but still get all the same errors. It was working perfectly just a day or so ago, and now each time I go to use GIMP, I have to hit "OK" at least 6 or 7 time to start the program. 
Would appreciate some assistance on this one.
Many Thanks and regards
Gary
Hi gazza, welcome to gimp-forum.net

The usual advice is

In windows, reinstalling Gimp rarely fixes anything. The problem is usually elsewhere.

Try disabling your gimp profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8 to say C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8-bak Reinstalling Gimp does not change your gimp profile.

Start Gimp up and see if the errors still occur.

1. If no errors, start moving plugins, scripts and brushes from the old folders to the new one at a time. Leave themes until everything still works.

2. If you do still get errors then it is more difficult, you have to look at what has changed in Windows between working and not working. New applications, Windows updates, virus scanner updates.
Also check if by any chance you haven't got a file "icui18n56.dll" elsewhere (in particular somewhere in c:\Windows).

Some automatic software update may have replaced/add another version of the file, in a place that takes precedence over the one that comes with Gimp (or your plugins)
Hi 
Many thanks for you replies. However, I have carried out all of the suggested steps, and still no luck. The only change that I can think of that has happened in the last few days is the updating of my TREND antivirus software. Having said that, I have used TREND for about 5 or 6 years and never had a problem with GIMP. 

As well as following your instructions, I physically deleted the Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.8 backup up folders. Turned off my TREND and reinstalled 2.8.16 which was the last version that has worked well for ages. I also put an webb address exception into my TREND. None of this has worked, and when I go to open GIMP, I have at least 7 or 8 exception errors to wade through.

I am using Windows 10 (Proper paid version)

Any suggestions from here? It has become frustrating because I have been using my GIMP to rejuvenate about 300 off 35mm slides from our families collection and converting them to .jpeg, but this has made it a bit of a chore.

Regards
Gary
Clutching at straws

You could try either the 2.8.14 portable version or the 2.9.5 development portable version from http://www.partha.com on the basic that a portable version might be immune from...?
Many Thanks Rich005
This is the second time you have saved my life ........... you did about 5 years ago when you sent me a video to cut out busy backgrounds!!!!!
Anyway, I downloaded the portable version, but my TREND did not like that, it questioned the source of the download.
So I downloaded the 2.8.14 Windows 64 bit version from that site and it appears to be working perfectly. 
I will try and add my other brushes etc and see if it does the job. Looks good at this stage ... not one exception error when starting the program.
Regards
Garhy
(04-09-2017, 07:45 PM)gazza Wrote: Hi 
Many thanks for you replies. However, I have carried out all of the suggested steps, and still no luck. The only change that I can think of that has happened in the last few days is the updating of my TREND antivirus software. Having said that, I have used TREND for about 5 or 6 years and never had a problem with GIMP. 

As well as following your instructions, I physically deleted the Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.8 backup up folders. Turned off my TREND and reinstalled 2.8.16 which was the last version that has worked well for ages. I also put an webb address exception into my TREND. None of this has worked, and when I go to open GIMP, I have at least 7 or 8 exception errors to wade through.

Any suggestions from here? It has become frustrating because I have been using my GIMP to rejuvenate about 300 off 35mm slides from our families collection and converting them to .jpeg, but this has made it a bit of a chore.

Regards
Gary

Windows10 updates itself very regularly (even if you tell it not to...). So you are positive that you couldn't find icui18n56.dll anywhere on your disk?
(04-09-2017, 08:45 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 07:45 PM)gazza Wrote: Hi 

Regards
Gary

Windows10 updates itself very regularly (even if you tell it not to...). So you are positive that you couldn't find icui18n56.dll anywhere on your disk?

No .... the only reference I saw using Windows Explorer was when I searched using a few different search options (see attachment). There was definitely nothing on the C:\ drive.

Hi Ofnuts
Well, when I tried to use the Sharma version it turned out to be a disaster so I had to uninstall it. It looked good when loaded, but nothing worked. 
I reinstalled 2.8.16, and have to go thru the same exercise of clicking the exception errors.
However, when I searched for the "ICUI" file as you can see by my new attachment, there is only one in the C Drive and it belongs to GIMP.
So I am back where I started. Can use GIMP, but it is not without the same hassles.
Regards
Gary
Hi again Ofnuts
I found a copy of 2.6.1.2 dating back to 2012 which I installed. It installed perfectly and started up perfectly, but did not have some of the newer features which is understandable. 
I figured that maybe I could install 2.8.16 over it. It did not work. Uninstalled 6.1.2 and back to square one with all the exception errors.
Regards
Gary
Hi Again 
Well, success. I went to the site "Index of mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows"
Downloaded Version 2.8.0 and it is working perfectly.
Thanks again for your help. I have no idea what is different but it works!!!!!!
Regards
Gary