Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GimpChat out?
"4) copy that edited file over the original /etc/hosts (possibly using "sudo")
because:
1) you have a backup of the original, that you can restore at once in case you screw things up badly
2) you have a copy of the modified version in a place that is more likely to be included in your backup procedures(*)
(*) because you have such a thing, haven't you?"

Macs don't use sudo that I know of.
Um, no, I don't have back up. Hoping to get an external drive and get that done one of these days.

#edit...hah, yes we do use sudo.  But...sadly it cannot seem to be able to get the cursor to the bottom, it will only let me type in above the top line, in order to follow these instructions...

"The hosts file will now be open in the Nano text editor.

add the following lines at the bottom:"
From DownUpTime.net

gimpchat.com Server Status Check
gimpchat.comWebsite Name:
Gimpchat.com uptime and performance Track website
93 ms.Response Time:
UnknownDown Since:
404 / Not Found
HTTP Status Codes:
404 = no index page
(01-29-2017, 03:13 AM)Kimba Wrote: Command prompt? Is that the same as the Terminal?

Yes.
All this could be moot, Omega just posted this on Gimpchat, and it seems the DNS now remember where GimpChat is, so there is no need to edit your hosts file:

yes, it does come up with my original link.
I found Gimpchat up because I received an email notification that someone had posted a reply to a topic I was following.
(01-29-2017, 09:24 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: All this could be moot, Omega just posted this on Gimpchat, and it seems the DNS now remember where GimpChat is, so there is no need to edit your hosts file:

Thanks Smile
Thank you for hosting this site, ofnuts. If not for you, folks would have been wandering in the dark when GC disappeared.
(01-31-2017, 09:54 AM)steven8 Wrote: Thank you for hosting this site, ofnuts.  If not for you, folks would have been wandering in the dark when GC disappeared.

*I* am not hosting the site. Kevin, Rich, and I are collectively hosting Smile
(01-31-2017, 10:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 09:54 AM)steven8 Wrote: Thank you for hosting this site, ofnuts.  If not for you, folks would have been wandering in the dark when GC disappeared.

*I* am not hosting the site. Kevin, Rich, and I are collectively hosting Smile

Sorry, I did not mean to exclude anyone, but thank you just the same.   Cool