Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image size on hover
I have made some icons.

I have placed them on the desktop.

When I hover the house over the icons, I note a square shape around the icons, but, in a few of them, I see a larger rectangle. I have cropped all the images.

I would like them all to be uniform.

Advice please.
Can you post the image files? And "icon" is actually several images of different sizes, so what sizes did you include in your icons?
It will be difficult to post the images with the blue square/rectangle active because I need to place to mouse over the image to gain the blue frame, and on a one by one basis.

In addition, I would produce the image of the desktop and icons using ksnapshop which also uses the mouse to define the area for copying

Regarding the size of the images, these were produced on the desktop by dragging the corner with the widgets unlocked.

The desktop images are also set at 48 in settings, but I don't see how this setting applies when I can drag the image to other sizes.

Ps. I made the images of one size not several, saved the files and used them as icons. I call these images icons, but I wonder if they are technically icons, or more accurately images!
(02-18-2017, 12:49 PM)anon_private Wrote: It will be difficult to post the images with the blue square/rectangle active because I need to place to mouse over the image to gain the blue frame, and on a one by one basis.

In addition, I would produce the image of the desktop and icons using ksnapshop which also uses the mouse to define the area for copying

ksnapshot has a delay option and takes a snap of the whole desktop. Crop out the bits you need.

however; linux or windows

Use Gimp for the screenshot:  File -> Create -> Screenshot

Set the entire screen option
Set a suitable delay
Click on Snap
Minimise Gimp and hover over the icon until the delay invokes.

Gimp will come up with a sceenshot of the entire desktop (note pointer is a separate layer - use or discard)
Crop out the bit you want
I meant to post the image files...

As to screenshots, with Knapshot you don't need to use the mouse, PrtScrn grabs the whole screen, you then copy paste into Gimp and crop the meaningful bit.

And for the very hard cases where you want to see focus-sensitive things such as popups and the mouse cursor:
  • In Gimp File>Create>Screenshot
  • Set full screen grab plus moderate delay (5-10sec)
  • Start screenshot, during countdown execute necessary maneuvers to get into the adequate state and hold still until Gimp takes the picture.
  • Crop result if necessary

(02-18-2017, 01:26 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I meant to post the image files...

As to screenshots, with Knapshot you don't need to use the mouse, PrtScrn grabs the whole screen, you then copy paste into Gimp and crop the meaningful bit.

And for the very hard cases where you want to see focus-sensitive things such as popups and the mouse cursor:
  • In Gimp File>Create>Screenshot
  • Set full screen grab plus moderate delay (5-10sec)
  • Start screenshot, during countdown execute necessary maneuvers to get into the adequate state and hold still until Gimp takes the picture.
  • Crop result if necessary

I attach a couple of examples

Google + is as expected, but twitter has the larger blue frame
One obvious difference between the two is that Twitter has a black transparent background and G+ has a reddish transparent background, so try to change the background color of the twitter icon (also, which the Google one not square)?

This said a large blue rectangle around them may be just a selection mark and would have nothing to do wit the image files, especially if it is larger than 128x128 pixels.
I don't understand how the colour of the background matters when it is transparent?

In addition, I don't understand this phrase '(also, which the Google one not square)?'

If the blue rectangle is a selection mark, and, I believe that it is, then why would it be sqaare in, say, four icons, and rectangular in two icons?

On a matter of definition, what is the technical difference between an icon and an image?
(02-19-2017, 01:13 PM)anon_private Wrote: I don't understand how the colour of the background matters when it is transparent?

In addition, I don't understand this phrase '(also, which the Google one not square)?'

If the blue rectangle is a selection mark, and, I believe that it is, then why would it be sqaare in, say, four icons, and rectangular in two icons?

On a matter of definition, what is the technical difference between an icon and an image?

1. It should not but bugs happen
  2. s/which/why/. The Google one is 128x129
  3. I don't know, but you can't really accuse Gimp on anything that happens outside the image borders. But see 2) first
  4. Usage. An icon is meant to be clicked on. Then there is the .ICO file type used in Windows which is actually a set of images, usually the same drawing at various sizes.
If you use ksnapshot you are likely be using KDE, so where do you see the problem? I added your two icons to a launcher and to my desktop and they behave identically (KDE 4.13.3)
I assumed that 128x129 would make a imperceptible difference

I use kubuntu 14.02

I notice the difference when clicking on the icon on the desktop