Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing brushes
Hi, I'm using GIMP 2.8.16 and have just downloaded three brush packs from Texture Mate and have no idea how to add them to my GIMP.

I downloaded a pack some time ago and when I unzipped the file there was a folder called brushes which contained a dozen or so brushes. All I did was copy & paste them over to the brushes folder in my GIMP folder and everything worked great.

This time, though, when I unzip each of the files I downloaded from Texture Mate, all that's in there is a jpeg of the brush pack preview, and an ABR file (whatever that is) with the brush pack's title, i.e texturemate-treebranches1.abr

What am I doing wrong please?
I do think you are doing anything wrong.
I suppose copy/paste works but you do need to move the brush files into your Gimp brushes folder. Unzip anything first.

for Windows C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\brushes.

There are 4 types of brushes 3 native to gimp .vbr .gbr .gih see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-brushes.html and (some) Photoshop .abr

PS .abr are often a brush package where the single file contains more than one brush. The jpeg that often comes with the .abr is just a sample of the brushes. 

edit: 1. There is a good chance that very recent .abr brushes will not work. 2. This is a little dated but worth a read http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.p...icle_id=30

If you intend to install lots of brushes a resources manager is advisable.
Hi, rich. The problem seem to be downloading the packs from Texture Mate. When I unzip them, the brushes are not there (just the preview jpg and the single ABR file)

So I went to Deviant Art instead and downloaded some of their packs. When I unzip these, the brushes are there as expected. I simply dragged them into my GIMP's brush folder and they are now there when I launch GIMP.

Although having read your post again, I think you're saying I should have dragged the single ABR file into GIMP's brushes folder and it would have added the brushes? Yes?
Quote:...Although having read your post again, I think you're saying I should have dragged the single ABR file into GIMP's brushes folder and it would have added the brushes? Yes?

Yes, put the .abr file in your Gimp profiles brushes folder C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\brushes
Thank you.
Thanks for telling us about Texturemate.com, Our Jud.