Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it Possible to Set Your Favorite Fonts in GIMP to Declutter Selection?
Hello,

I noticed that GIMP displays any font available that is in program and fonts installed on my computer.
The problem with that is not all fonts are created equal and there's a few that I like while majority is just clutter.

Is it possible to favorite fonts and them displayed separately?
The other issue is that GIMP does not display in fonts change in real-time as you hover your mouse over.
Canva for example is great at it and in no time you can create different texts because it is so easy to quickly
find and test fonts:

What do you guys do when you work with text?
Do you have another, faster way that is easier to navigate between fonts?

Thanks.
The windows fonts indeed are annoying but you should not uninstall them, because they can be important in other applications.

A lot of us use ofnuts' addon manager, to manage fonts but also patterns, brushes and gradients, etc, in dedicated folders that can be turned on and off.
There is however a bug with fonts in windows, which leads to the annoying situation, that folders sometimes cant be switched off.

Its still better than having everything installed to your system !
My add-on manger unfortunately won't do anything about system-wide fonts. I read somewhere that there was a way to disable selected system fonts in the system cache fonts set up by the GTK font support, but since this is a Windows issue I did't try to go further.
(12-13-2017, 04:38 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: My add-on manger unfortunately won't do anything about system-wide fonts. I read somewhere that there was a way to disable selected system fonts in the system cache fonts set up by the GTK font support, but since this is a Windows issue I did't try to go further.

Would be nice. I dont think i will ever need the arabic or asian font support.
(12-13-2017, 02:55 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: The windows fonts indeed are annoying but you should not uninstall them, because they can be important in other applications.

Maybe there is a way/plugin in GIMP to disable Windows fonts and assign path to custom fonts folder?

(12-13-2017, 02:55 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: A lot of us use ofnuts' addon manager, to manage fonts but also patterns, brushes and gradients, etc, in dedicated folders that can be turned on and off.
There is however a bug with fonts in windows, which leads to the annoying situation, that folders sometimes cant be switched off.

This sounds like what I asked about above... Sounds like capability to enable custom folder where you include saved fonts, brushes, gradients files?
(12-16-2017, 06:22 AM)TechnicGeek Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 02:55 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: A lot of us use ofnuts' addon manager, to manage fonts but also patterns, brushes and gradients, etc, in dedicated folders that can be turned on and off.
This sounds like what I asked about above... Sounds like capability to enable custom folder where you include saved fonts, brushes, gradients files?

Natively, you can ask Gimp to look at more folders for add-ons: See Edit>Preferences>Folders, bit this is more meant for long-term  configuration than for every day use.

The add-on manager mentioned above has a different purpose, it is designed to quickly add and remove resources kept in directories or ZIP files.

But in any case Gimp also looks at the system fonts in addition to these folders so if you are bothered by extra fonts the solution is elsewhere (on Linux, disable fonts at the system level (which will apply to all apps), in Windows, disable the fonts at the GTK level).
@TechnicGeek

An old-ish video on setting up collection manager http://youtu.be/v0g0qv4YMks

@Ofnuts or any Windows user
Out of curiosity, any idea where Win7 or Win 10 GTK keeps details of fonts, had a look around all the usual places without any joy.