Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible....
...to install another gimp onto your computer without having to remove the one you already have set up.
I want one that only has the original files in it as well. Can I do it by using a different file name for one or would I need to get a portable.
I use windows 32bit btw.
Just tried to do a custom installation for a new one but it just updated the one I have already.

I want a plain one as well.

Smile
The portable version is you best bet I think.

But if you want to get technical, you can try this:
  • Check if you current version added itself to the system PATH (note value and remove if so)
  • ZIP you current version (and its user profile)and uninstall
  • Install new version in  a different directory
  • Check if it added itself to the system PATH (note value and remove if so)
  • Unzip the previous version in its original directory, and unzip the profile
  • Create two .BAT files:
Code:
SET PATH=(add the Gimp directory back in the PATH
SET GIMP2_DIRECTORY={path to profile directory, obvious different for each)
/path/to/gimp.exe
  • Create shortcuts to these files
  • Check your file associations, they are likely set up to start the new Gimp.
Thanks ofnuts. Think i'll go the easy way Wink.

Smile
I will have to try the above in a VM when I get a chance.

A problem if you want to run 2 versions of Gimp concurrently. I think Gimp/OS blocks that.

For Gimp 2.8.x I think you will need to use a portable version This one 32 bit and up to date
https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_p...p_portable

An alternative is a different version of Gimp, older or newer, each will create and use its own Gimp profile

Once Gimp 2.8 is installed Gimp 2.6 will install - the last version, nearest mirror to you.
http://pirbot.com/mirrors/gimp/gimp/v2.6...-setup.exe

Gimp 2.9.5 is basically a portable version, the only 32 bit version for windows I know of.
http://samjcreations.blogspot.co.uk/2016...p-295.html
sallyanne: what do you actually want to do?
Run different versions of GIMP ?
or run the same version, but one instance as a basic install? - In which case, assuming you've been sensible about where you put your extras (plug-ins, scripts, brushes etc), Then you could create a new, clean, profile and start GIMP using that new profile when required.
I downloaded one to a USB. (Portable)

@Kevin I just wanted to have a clean install without the extras - scripts, plugins etc.

@ rich [ An alternative is a different version of Gimp, older or newer, each will create and use its own Gimp profile]
I had 2.8.18 - downloaded 2.8.22 and my old one was updated even though I tried to do a custom install.
Probably will be handy to have the portable (I did have 2.9.1) but got rid of it today.

Anyway it may not come to fruition yet but I have been using gimp for over 10 years and thought i may as well try to share some of what I know to 'beginners' in Gimp what the basics are in a blog. For that I needed to have a version that hasn't got anything added.
I still am not technical minded and I  haven't got my head around paths or masks properly but I think I know most of it now. Thought I could get around that by pointing people to sites where I know they will get answers.

Smile
(07-25-2017, 07:00 AM)rich2005 Wrote: A problem if you want to run 2 versions of Gimp concurrently. I think Gimp/OS blocks that.
Not really... On Linux you have the problem that the distributed packages all want to run from /usr, so there can only be one, but you can build your own to run from /opt or elsewhere.
On Windows, when you install 2.8 over 2.6, the 2.8 installer upgrades the 2.6 profile to 2.8, but if you have 2.8 and install 2.6, they will coexist. And if you install two 2.8.x version you can have them use different profiles by setting the GIMP_DATA_DIR for at least one of them.
(07-25-2017, 12:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: On Windows, when you install 2.8 over 2.6, the 2.8 installer upgrades the 2.6 profile to 2.8, but if you have 2.8 and install 2.6, they will coexist.

I have done that before, 2.6 to 2.8 and 2.8 to 2.9 you have watch out for Gimp profile migration or be prepared to sort out all the junk from the new profile and of course the new install removes the previous version.
So it is install Gimp 2.8 then (re)install Gimp 2.6

Quote: And if you install two 2.8.x version you can have them use different profiles by setting the GIMP_DATA_DIR for at least one of them.

Thanks for that. Must try it in Windows.

Linux, I am ok with using 2.9 appimage for now, that is very convenient. I keep it on a data partition. It does unpack into /tmp but that is not persistent. The 2.9 profile is in ~/.config so that is permanent.

I did a 2.9 compile one time and that installed to home. Not so keen on all that junk in my home folder Wink plus all the dev packages that are needed.
What about creating a second user?
When logging in to that user its user gimp folder is clean.
I have two users, one is called GimpTest, which I use when I need to perforn a test on a "clean" env.
(07-25-2017, 03:25 PM)dinasset Wrote: What about creating a second user?
When logging in to that user its user gimp folder is clean.
I have two users, one is called GimpTest, which I use when I need to perforn a test on a "clean" env.

Not really necessary in most cases. I run three different Gimp versions with only one user.