Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a decent filter to make some sort of lens distortion for text ?
I wonder if one could use Inkscape's tiled clones tool to make that bulged grid.

Like this (but its probably not that sine-distribution):

@ofnuts / espermaschine

This a quickie just using bumpmaps.

When is it better to use a displacement map? Always? sometimes? special circumstances?
Different animals... Bump doesn't move pixels, it only adds shading.

(11-05-2016, 11:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @ofnuts / espermaschine

This a quickie just using bumpmaps.

When is it better to use a displacement map? Always? sometimes? special circumstances?

I dont understand what you are demonstrating with that image.
bulging, rounded

Maybe not the best example, but when is a displacement better / more appropriate than a bump map?

I understand the difference between shading and moving pixels but in the context of the thread I would really appreciate your thoughts on your image results.
Hmm, well bumpmapping is for bevels (shading). To a certain extent you can make the bulging without any shading.
If you think of the bulging coming from text being reflected in a convex mirror, it would get distorted and blown up (thats where, theoretically speaking, a displacement map would come into play).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curved_mirror

So i think the letter 'I', displayed as a rectangle would look like this:

And i think the Lens Distortion filter in Gimp realized that quite well, after i made the perspective distorted letters in Inkscape.

(11-05-2016, 06:16 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I understand the difference between shading and moving pixels but in the context of the thread I would really appreciate your thoughts on your image results.

My shading isnt very accurate. But it fools you to a certain extent, that it maybe is Big Grin

(11-05-2016, 11:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote: When is it better to use a displacement map? Always? sometimes? special circumstances?

This tutorial is a very good example what you can do with a displacment map

Ok, understand all that,

Just wondering how you got from image 1 to image 2 in post #5 by using a displacement map as generated by ofnuts 2 gradients.
(11-05-2016, 07:13 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Ok, understand all that,

Just wondering how you got from image 1 to image 2 in post #5 by using a displacement map as generated by ofnuts 2 gradients.

I didnt Smile
I was hoping it would be possible with a displacement map, because it seems logical and it still may be in the context of filter writing.

Instead i used 'Lens Distortion' but on top of the distorted text made in Inkscape.

But for now, warping text into the shape as reflected by a convex mirror and getting good results is not possible at this time in Gimp.
We would need new filters for that Sad
Not Gimp, Imagemagick and one of freds IM bash scripts, bubblewarp using default settings.
before and after

Usually very difficult to rework for Windows.
(11-05-2016, 09:23 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Not Gimp, Imagemagick and one of freds IM bash scripts, bubblewarp using default settings.
before and after

WOW !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:Usually very difficult to rework for Windows.

Oh Sad