Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Draw Anime Style Using GimP!!
Wink 
Haiya. haiya, meet again with me... [Image: spartalalalaplz.gif]

Days before, it seems GimpChat is out/down so I find this forum, recognize several admin(s) here that help me on GimpChat... Decide to post tutorial here, maybe it will useful later on... [Image: spartalalalaplz.gif]

Oh, and about me... I am using GimP since, maybe four or five years ago and use it for digital painting... I consider myself an... errgh, anime style artist because I am using Japanese style drawing style... ( http://lordofelemental.deviantart.com ) And just about one year more ago moving to Linux bla bla bla bla etc etc etc bla bla bla bla

Oh, and for info, I am still using GimPainter 2.6 on Linux Mint 17.2, I downgrade my default GimP 2.8 installation to 2.6 because I am very used to 2.6... (And don't want upgrade to Linux Mint 18)

1. Alright, the tutorial is very simple...
The sketch is the same, whether it is traditional or digital medium. There are several types of people doing sketch, too. You might want to take the 'painter' approach or, just like me, using 'pencil' like method. Keep the sketch clean and simple, don't waste your energy for unnecessary lines.

[Image: 01_sketch.jpg]
RECOMMEND BRUSH SETTING:
Beacuse I am used to sketch in paper using pencil, in GimP, I usually found brush preset that is good for doing sketch can be categorized to 'pencil' brush. Avoid using solid black brush preset that look like you are 'inking', remember you might find it hard to lineart/ink later if your sketch is too dark at this time.
Use brush that has lower opacity.
For short: anything can works.

2. Lineart
Lineart of course need to made on different layers...  Me myself usually separate layer between hair, skin, and clothes. Don't make too much layer, though. Keep the words 'efficiency' in mind. But this time I drew mecha (robot in japanese). Again, don't waste too much time on lineart. If you find it hard to make lineart, then the sketch maybe not clean enough. Efficiency, efficiency! Urgh, who carved those words to my mind...

[Image: 02_lineart.jpg]

RECOMMEND BRUSH SETTING:
Consider inking is your clean version on lineart...

3. Coloring
Here comes the special feature of G Mic. use G Mic > Black & White > Colorize (Interactive) which will come in handy. Of course you might want to fix several part manually. After that you might want to use 'Indexed Decompose' script to separate layer for each color... (Urgh, where is the link to the script...)
For usage of this script you can learn by yourself...
or visit this link (it is in Krita) http://www.davidrevoy.com/article247/kri...g-tutorial

(By the way, my GimPainter 2.6 not allow me to use G'Mic, so I use G'Mic that packed along with Krita. In Krita there is a 'Split Layer' command that comes in handy...) ---> then saved it in .PSD format before move back to GimP for coloring...

[Image: 03_basecolor.jpg]
[Image: 04_color.jpg]
[Image: 05_othercolor.jpg]
[Image: 046blankbg.jpg]

For tips... Nothing seems important here because it seems everyone has his/her own preferences about coloring method... And mine is nothing special..

[Image: white_dragon_champion_mk__vi_by_lordofel...ax8hvb.jpg]

Why using GimP? Why not using Krita for digital coloring? Maybe because I have not any real experience using traditional medium when it comes to painting. And Krita is trying hard to mimic traditional painting tools... Me? I just want my painting done fast. What is the point of mimicking traditional tools if that makes us spending more times on it? For the sake of tradition? [Image: spartalalalaplz.gif]
That is very good. It would be impossible for me to a actually draw but this shows some great coloring. By the way, where did you get that funny little running man, and can any head be put onto it?
(01-30-2017, 04:36 PM)2-ton Wrote: By the way, where did you get that funny little running man, and can any head be put onto it?

SPARTA !
(01-30-2017, 04:36 PM)2-ton Wrote: That is very good. It would be impossible for me to a actually draw but this shows some great coloring.  By the way, where did you get that funny little running man, and can any head be put onto it?

Oh I found these funny little pieces on deviantart.com (  http://spartalalalaplz.deviantart.com/  ) there are a lot of variation of them there... [Image: lalalaplz.gif][Image: minglalalaplz.gif]

(01-30-2017, 10:44 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 04:36 PM)2-ton Wrote: By the way, where did you get that funny little running man, and can any head be put onto it?

SPARTA !

[Image: 300-2.jpg]

Ah... Another one using the nearly same step but different coloring method... [Image: lalalaplz.gif][Image: lalalaplz.gif][Image: lalalaplz.gif]
[Image: deep_red_by_lordofelemental-daxdnxb.jpg]
Awesome stuff, Zeo !