Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lssoo Tool too sensitive/ closes far too quickly
Hello

I do hope someone can help me with this problem that is really frustrating:

GIMP works great in most instances and I have been using it for a few years without any real glitches.

However this past few weeks, the LASSOO TOOL has been plagued with glitches: straight lines are usually fine, but anything using a curve usually sees the lassoo tool closing far too quickly, making undesired shapes I have to close and 'fix' later,

Up until very recently, the lassoo tool worked like a charm, even with rapid use.

I done a clean reinstall of WINDOWS last week [nothing to do with this problem] and the oversensitive closing/ bad lassoo drag is still there .

So I dont think its my computer which seems to work fine otherwise.

I also reinstalled GIMP 2.8 and even went back to 2'6 to see if that worked better, but alas it is still the same.

Is there a recent setting or something I can adjust, or any other steps I can take to get the lassoo tool working well like it used to? I can still work, but I am slowed down a lot compaed to what used to be standard work practise.Will check for responses later.

Attached is the sort of images I create with the help of GIMP:

Kind Regards, Rob
This post has been edited by Rab Smith: Today, 10:50 AM

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reinstalling Gimp rarely does any good. However since the problem also occurs with Gimp 2.6 have you considered it might be a hardware issue, ie. the mouse.
(02-22-2017, 11:43 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Reinstalling Gimp rarely does any good. However since the problem also occurs with Gimp 2.6 have you considered it might be a hardware issue, ie. the mouse.

Or the mouse battery, if wireless...

To close the lasso, you have to double click. If you have a marginal mouse button, it can open/close/open/close while you hold it, making it look like you double clicked. No spurious double-clicking problems anywhere on the PC?
Hiya guys:

thank you for your responses.

Sometimes the lassoo tool works fine----I am pretty experienced with it and I know intuitively when the lassoo tool is working fine.

Today the lassoo tool has been working on and off OK.

Yes, sometimes I have problems with the mouse on other sites, and considering my well-worn mouse is now ten years old, this could well be the problem.

Looks like I need a new mouse!

Hope it is the mouse----I will report back anyway on here in a few days. 

I will try a new one this weekend---they are cheap to buy anyway.

Thanks again, Rob
Hiya Admins!

You most certainlly prodded me into the right direction:

------I discovered that the computer plug-in end [USB connection] was far too tangled up with other wires and I straightened everything out and re-plugged the mouse cable back in.

Within a few minutes, the lassoo tool on GIMP was back to a recognizable working state and so far [fingers crossed] things are happily working as they should be,

This approach was something that simply never occurred to me, and I much appreciate you good folks pointing out it was likely mouse-related problems and not GIMP itself/

Now back to working efficiently---I hope----once again!

Kind regards, Rob
We have an advantage over you... we know how reliable Gimp is, so when we have problems, Gimp isn't our primary suspect...
It was well worth me starting up this thread, Ofnuts, or chances are I would still be struggling with a malfunctioning lassoo tool.

Great side which I will return to in future.

Thank you  and Rich  once again,

Rob.