Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help to add Layer via Copy Cut
Hello Friends

I need help to add Layer via Copy Cut Plugin.I really dont know which folder i am suppose to add this plugin.
I initially added to Share\Gimp\2.0\UI\plugins. But couldnt find Layer via copy & Layer via Cut in the Layer Menu
Pls help me get it perfectly correct

Thanks & Regards
K.Sujatha
I think your question was answered across at gimpchat.

However: The place to add plugins is in your Gimp profile
 In Windows  C:\Users\your_name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins

If you have somewhere else, move it.

The menu entry is bottom of the layer menu

edit:
Looking for possible snags.
The plugin is from deviantart.com - layer_via_copy_cut_by_slybug-d520tjl.zip
Did you unzip it?
The plugin contains the files
changelog.txt
cover.png
info.txt
layer-via-copy-cut.py
Locale

The only file you need is layer-via-copy-cut.py
Thank u
I added in the same folder as suggested.
But still i couldnt find them in my Layer Menu
Pls tell me what could be the problem
I closed the GIMP before adding these to the Plugin Folder

Thanks & regards
K.Sujatha

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It works for me on Windows 7, GIMP 2.8.18

Just make sure you've put the .py file into a folder that GIMP is looking in, so check your Folder preferences (Edit>>Preferences>>Folders>>Plug-Ins)

In your menu, can you find Filters>Python-fu>Console (toward the bottom of "Filters"), and Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog? If these are missing, your Python support is defective, and these Python scripts won't run.
Looking at your other posts on gimpchat, missing dll's etc my best guess at the moment is a screwed up installation.

I would uninstall gimp from the Windows uninstall menu

Check that C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 folder has gone. If it is still there delete it.
Back up your Gimp profile folder C:\Users\.gimp-2.8 by renaming it.

In gimpchat you show that you are using gimp 2.8.14 - really worthwhile updating to gimp 2.8.18

see the short video http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-In...202#pid202 on installation. Win 7 is the same as Win 10.

The first run will create a new Gimp profile, add your plugins as previous advice.
(12-20-2016, 10:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: In your menu, can you find Filters>Python-fu>Console (toward the bottom of "Filters"), and Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog? If these are missing, your Python support is defective, and these Python scripts won't run.

Hi
Thank u
I can find Filter-Python-Fu-Console
But i do get a error message that the plugin has crashed "python-console.py"
C:\\Program files\GIMP\2.0\plugins\python-console.py
The dying plugin may have messed up with GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images & restart GIMP to be on the safe side.
Sorry again i wasnt successful in adding not only this Layer via Copy Cut plugin , but also i was succesfully be able to use palette(creating new palette & then creating new customised gradients)

Sorry i ended up getting an error message something like this, that the plugin has crashed "python-console.py"
C:\\Program files\GIMP\2.0\plugins\python-console.py
The dying plugin may have messed up with GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images & restart GIMP to be on the safe side.
Sorry again i wasnt successful in adding not only this Layer via Copy Cut plugin , but also i was succesfully be able to use palette(creating new palette & then creating new customised gradients)
So, I agree with Rich, worth uninstalling completely and reinstalling, since something is amiss in your Gimp installation.
Maybe time to check that your Python is functional:

• Open a file explorer
  • Navigate to the Gimp installation directory: "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\" (could be different on your system)
  • This directory should contain subdirectories: bin, etc, lib, share, uninst, and Python.
  • Open Python
  • You should have directories: DLLs and Lib and files python.exe, pythonw.exe, and python27.dll.
  • Double-click python.exe (and NOT pythonw.exe). You should get a window with:

Code:
Error processing line 3 of C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\Python\lib\site-packages\pygtk.pth:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\Python\lib\site.py", line 152, in addpackage
      exec line
    File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  ImportError: No module named runtime

Remainder of file ignored
Python 2.7.10 (default, May 23 2015, 09:40:32) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
➤>

Don't worry about the error, if you get there it means the Python interpreter runs. If this is OK, navigate to
"C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\interpreters" (or equivalent on your system) and open the "pygimp.interp" file in an editor. It should contain:
Code:
python=C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\Python\pythonw.exe
/usr/bin/python=C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\Python\pythonw.exe
:Python:E::py::python:
Where the "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\Python\pythonw.exe" in the first two lines should be a path to the pythonw.exe found above.