Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rectangle tool
Hi - I'm using the Rectangle tool but am finding the default rectangle has very slightly rounded corners - how do I change it so it has completely square corners?

Many thanks
Untick the "Rounded corners" in the Tool options dialog.

To make this setting stick, see Edit>Preferences>Tool options: save the options when you leave Gimp, or set the options permanently to always start Gimp with the same settings ("Save options now!" and uncheck "Save options on exit".
Thanks - but it is unticked. I'm not sure how to send you a screen shot so you can see?

The other thing is that the greener borders have very blurred edges - any thoughts on this?
(03-18-2017, 03:27 PM)GilesN Wrote: Thanks - but it is unticked.  I'm not sure how to send you a screen shot so you can see?

Look for this bottom of reply, then choose file, then Add Attachment. The other way is a site such as imgur.com add the screenshot there, include the link with your post

Quote:The other thing is that the greener borders have very blurred edges - any thoughts on this?

I think you will have to give more information on what you are doing. You are using the rectangular selection tool -yes/no ?

What greener border?
Hi Rich2005

Hopefully you'll find the attachment now.

If you look at the inner, green rectangle you'll see the rounded corner and blurred edges most clearly.  The rounding is most pronounced on the outside of the corner.

Thanks again

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think I see the problem. Still a bit of a guess, but it looks like you have been stroking the selection to obtain those borders/bands.

Then it depends how you do that. It looks like you have been using the paint tool. This will introduce anti-aliasing (semi-transparent pixels) to 'smooth' a line, even a horizontal or vertical line.

To avoid this use the Stroke line option which will give cleaner horizontal / vertical lines. For thinner lines best turn the anti-aliasing option off under Stroke line as shown. 

I agree with Rich, and when stroking in "line" mode, check the options for rendering corners, because one of them rounds them off.
Many thanks for both your replies, appreciated.

The borders were created with the Rectangle tool and then Bucket filled with colour, having expanded the pixel width of the border.  I'll have a look at your comments in more detail and come back to you.
Growing the selection will result in rounded corners. If you must use this method, start of with the larger selection and shrink it. That keeps the sharp corners.

The best way is just  make a new selection, maybe using the tool options to set dimensions. Something like this but there are other ways to get a result.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)