Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing unnecessary paths in Inkscape
I have a company logo that I want to use in an SVG icon file. The logo is a symbol followed by the company name.

I just want the symbol. I found how to clip it, but this is just masking stuff, the SVG still contains all the useless paths for the company name (and some software doesn't really pay attention to these masked off paths).

So, how can I remove all these extra paths?
(10-25-2016, 10:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I have a company logo that I want to use in an SVG icon file. The logo is a symbol followed by the company name.

I just want the symbol. I found how to clip it, but this is just masking stuff, the SVG still contains all the useless paths for the company name (and some software doesn't really pay attention to these masked off paths).

So, how can I remove all these extra paths?

Maybe the built-in xml editor. can not see any way to bulk select, so this might involve a lot of clicking on the delete icon.

What is stopping you from selecting the paths of the logo, copying them and pasting them into a new document? - That's what I've done with the GIMP icons from out of the composite .svg
(10-26-2016, 08:22 AM)Kevin Wrote: What is stopping you from selecting the paths of the logo, copying them and pasting them into a new document? - That's what I've done with the GIMP icons from out of the composite .svg

I tried... but I get the extra paths (masked, but still there). The XML editor did the trick. Thanks.

Next question, how to I keep the aspect ratio when resizing?

Edit: Silly me, Shift/Control modifiers, I have seen that elsewhere... but it didn't work when I tried last night...
Quote:Next question, how to I keep the aspect ratio when resizing?

Assuming an object, with the ctrl key

http://imgur.com/5s8Pc2b

edit: although thinking about accuracy 

Object menu -> transform, the scale tab or with a bit of calculation the height and width values under the menu.

Actually with the path editor, you can mass-delete path sections. I should not have cropped initially, cop has obvoiusly a rather different meaning in Inkscape.

New interrogation: I take a clipart which is made of blue tones, in Inkscape I manage to replace the blue with green tones, but my KDE desktop shows everything still blue...

Of course the recolored file is bigger, so I suspect there have been additions. Is there a way to do thing properly in the UI?

Attached Files
.svg   Folder.svg (Size: 7.27 KB / Downloads: 299)
.svg   Folder-Green.svg (Size: 10.74 KB / Downloads: 294)
The blue icon shows blue here and the green shows green. Open in gimp and same number of paths in each (24)

Using Inkscape File -> Clean up document on the green icon, there a message 'removing 3 unused definitions..' which does not appear for the blue icon.

File size, save as a plain SVG gets the file down to 9559B here.

Can not see anything much wrong.
(10-26-2016, 03:14 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Using Inkscape File -> Clean up document....

Only have File > Vacuum defs. Hmm. Running 0.48 from by Ubuntu repo, while current is 0.91 so it's time to upgrade...
Looking at the original in inkscape, IMHO it is only path233 that needs a recolour. a straight stroke and fill. Moved it over on folder-path233.svg to show all those pesky gradients.

folder-green-path233.svg is a plain svg. All these + your files show in my Kubuntu 16.04 no problem

Attached Files
.svg   Folder-path233.svg (Size: 9.49 KB / Downloads: 273)
.svg   Folder-green-path233.svg (Size: 9.09 KB / Downloads: 299)
(10-26-2016, 10:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Next question, how to I keep the aspect ratio when resizing?

Im late to the party, but when using the 'Select Tool' you can also click the little lock between height and width to maintain aspect ratio.