Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shadow problem

I added a grass jpeg to this photo with Gimp, but didn't select the shadowed areas. What I'd like to do is to add the grass texture image to the shadowed areas, but maintain the shadow color. Is there a way to layer the grass jpeg under the shadowed areas and still keep the dark color?
It may be possible using layer modes. But we would need to see both images to select the best method. Can you post both images?
(03-15-2017, 05:23 AM)Blighty Wrote: It may be possible using layer modes. But we would need to see both images to select the best method. Can you post both images?

Thanks for the response.

I think this is the one I used, although it doesn't matter--it's just a grass texture. I had to size both images way down to be able to post them, so you'll have to play with them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ho b60
There is only one image posted - the grass texture. The one with the shadows is missing.

An alternative to adding here is to put them on a photo sharing site and put links to them here.
As Blighty wrote best if both images are available and might be possible in a layer mode.

however from your post on another forum and a deal of guesswork.

Put the grass layer over the shadowed area and then put the grass layer in hard light mode.

(03-15-2017, 05:07 PM)Blighty Wrote: Ho b60
There is only one image posted - the grass texture. The one with the shadows is missing.

An alternative to adding here is to put them on a photo sharing site and put links to them here.

I tried adding the original image, but it doesn't show up.

(03-15-2017, 05:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote: As Blighty wrote best if both images are available and might be possible in a layer mode.

however from your post on another forum and a deal of guesswork.

Put the grass layer over the shadowed area and then put the grass layer in hard light mode.

That looks great--thank you! Could you give me a step-by-step tutorial?

Thanks.
(03-15-2017, 08:43 PM)b60 Wrote: ..... snip....Could you give me a step-by-step tutorial?

It is literally: put the grass layer over the shadow area as a new layer and change the layer mode for the grass layer.

But all depends on your base image. Without seeing it, just guesswork. You might need to use a selection or maybe a layer mask to constrain the 'grass' area.
(03-16-2017, 08:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:43 PM)b60 Wrote: ..... snip....Could you give me a step-by-step tutorial?

It is literally: put the grass layer over the shadow area as a new layer and change the layer mode for the grass layer.

But all depends on your base image. Without seeing it, just guesswork. You might need to use a selection or maybe a layer mask to constrain the 'grass' area.

What I want to know is, since the grass jpeg is already in place in the non-shadowed area, do I need to select the shadowed area and place the grass on top of that? I did try this (selected the shadowed area and pasted the grass jpeg on top, then changed the mode to hard light) to no avail.
(03-16-2017, 04:46 PM)b60 Wrote: What I want to know is, since the grass jpeg is already in place in the non-shadowed area, do I need to select the shadowed area and place the grass on top of that? I did try this (selected the shadowed area and pasted the grass jpeg on top, then changed the mode to hard light) to no avail.

No, you really need to go back to square one. Use your un-edited image of the 'shadowed' area, open the 'grass' as a new layer File -> Open as Layers. Then change the mode of that layer - hard light might work.

If you used a pattern for the grass, make a new transparent layer, use a selection or layer mask and fill on that layer. Then same as before.

But that might not be the best or only method. If you cannot post the whole 2922 wide image, cut a representative portion out of the original, say 800 x 800 pix (if it is that high) and post that. The grass texture you posted earlier will suffice.

(03-16-2017, 05:37 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 04:46 PM)b60 Wrote: What I want to know is, since the grass jpeg is already in place in the non-shadowed area, do I need to select the shadowed area and place the grass on top of that? I did try this (selected the shadowed area and pasted the grass jpeg on top, then changed the mode to hard light) to no avail.

No, you really need to go back to square one. Use your un-edited image of the 'shadowed' area, open the 'grass' as a new layer File -> Open as Layers. Then change the mode of that layer - hard light might work.

If you used a pattern for the grass, make a new transparent layer, use a selection or layer mask and fill on that layer. Then same as before.

But that might not be the best or only method. If you cannot post the whole 2922 wide image, cut a representative portion out of the original, say 800 x 800 pix (if it is that high) and post that. The grass texture you posted earlier will suffice.

O.K.--thanks. I cut out a portion of each image and I'll try to post them now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)