Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smudge filter
Similar to smudge too, I would like to smudge whole image. There isn't that named filter in GMIC.
How to create this effect using existing filters in GIMP and GMIC ?
Smudge very much depends how you apply it. Maybe an example of desired result, if you have one.

Perhaps one of the blur filters - Gimp motion blur - linear - length depends on size of image.

Gmic you could try a blur again
Blur (bloom) with a high amplitude setting or Blur (linear) - similar to motion blur.
for a subtle effect there is Contours -> Morphological Filter.
Maybe duplicate the layer, apply some effect (Ripple, Wind...) and then adjust opacity.

Or generate a path that covers the whole image (hint) and then Edit>Stroke path using the Smudge tool.
(08-20-2017, 12:57 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Smudge very much depends how you apply it. Maybe an example of desired result, if you have one.

I want to smudge between different color areas, something like a smooth gradient, but rough just like smudge. But I would like to do it for whole image in one step. I will try it.
I can not think of anything to get the uneven edge you can get from applying smudge by hand.

If using Gimp 2.8.x you tend to get that dark edge which is fixed in Gimp 2.9.5 linear mode.

This using 3 or 4 applications of the 2.9.5 linear motion blur applied with different small length values and different angles. Still not uneven but not as even as a regular blur. screenshot http://i.imgur.com/oJJUoAH.jpg
(08-20-2017, 01:09 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Maybe duplicate the layer, apply some effect (Ripple, Wind...) and then adjust opacity.

Or generate a path that covers the whole image (hint) and then Edit>Stroke path using the Smudge tool.

Is it possible to get just the Wind filter of separate layer ?
When I create transparency layer, Wind can't be created.
(08-21-2017, 10:40 AM)grit Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 01:09 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Maybe duplicate the layer, apply some effect (Ripple, Wind...) and then adjust opacity.

Is it possible to get just the Wind filter of separate layer ?
When I create transparency layer, Wind can't be created.

You apply the Wind filter on your layer (or a copy of it...). Otherwise I don't understand your problem?
I would like to have wind effect on separate layer with transparent background
(08-21-2017, 04:16 PM)grit Wrote: I would like to have wind effect on separate layer with transparent background
  • Duplicate layer
  • Apply wind to top layer
  • Put top layer in difference mode
  • Layer>New from visible
  • Colors>Desaturate (average)
  • Use Levels to make sure the maximum value is white
  • Go to the channels list and copy one of the RGB layers (just drag to the list below)
  • Back to layers
  • On top layer: Layer>Mask>Add layer mask, and initialize to the Channel you created.
Thanks