Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stencils
Hi.
I'm using Gimp 2.8.20 running under Windows 10.
Absolute have fallen in love with the Gimp program and am so grateful to every one who works tirelessly an mainly thanklessly.
I would like to see Stencils available in the shape of straight ruler (adjustable length and width), circles, ellipses, and various french curves. these would be very useful when masking, erasing, painting, etc.
If there already exist such as these, kindly direct me to link.
Thanks in advance,
Ed Ingram

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-24-2017, 05:17 PM)eingram25 Wrote: I would like to see Stencils available in the shape of straight ruler (adjustable length and width), circles, ellipses, and various french curves. these would be very useful when masking, erasing, painting, etc.
If there already exist such as these, kindly direct me to link.

Nothing like that.

I remembered the term, and the clue was in your screenshot: 

ArtRage Stencils
Stencils are used to create precise shapes or lines on your Canvas. They work just like a piece of plastic or wood placed on the Canvas, allowing you to paint over them without the paint applying to the Canvas beneath, or draw around them to make outlines.

Gimp is a lot more hands-on, but eventually you will find it much more flexible than having everything pre-made for you.

The best way is start looking for vector shapes. a general search should find some. You might have to delve into making your own.

This is a typical draughtsmen’s french curve, made the path myself from an on-line image. I could use that path to selection to add/subtract from some other selection and create a new shape.

new layer, painted over the resulting selection

For a beginner wanting some pre-sets then try arakne shape paths.
http://www.arakne.es/en/programming/pyth...reator-v8/

It is a plugin that I find a bit confusing to use, always end up with duplicate paths but it does work. Generally, make a selection and the plugin will fill the selection with a selected shape as a path Then up to you what you do with the path. Stroke it for an outline. Path to selection for painting inside or whatever you want.

Here are 3 paths. A ruler: A cloud partially painted inside and a selection filled with a brick grid.

edit:
FWIW attached my frenchcurve vector - svg file. To load a path, right click in the paths dialog, choose import path, select an svg file

Attached Files
.svg   fc.svg (Size: 2.75 KB / Downloads: 230)
I think I can take it from here after your fine suggestions!
However consider this:
I am 70 yrs old and getting a little shaky.
I used stencils in the attached painting because I tend to "color outside the lines" (just an expression, there were no lines to color).
As I said, I find that Gimp is way more versatile than other programs and there are many people willing to make tutorials.
So i would rather make Gimp my "one and only".
You can see that I'm not relying on something doing for me, just letting it guide my hands a little, sometimes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-25-2017, 01:45 AM)eingram25 Wrote: However consider this: I am 70 yrs old and getting a little shaky.

You might not have noticed, but I fall into the category of "grumpy-old-man" Wink

Quote:..I used stencils in the attached painting because I tend to "color outside the lines" (just an expression, there were no lines to color)....snip... just letting it guide my hands a little, sometimes.

I think that standard Gimp selection tools will do the job, might not be as convenient but will get you there.

Since this is not a plugin, my thoughts, with a video here:
http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Make-an...20#pid1620