Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flatten image to transparent
Hello all,

I am new to the forum.
I did a couple searches, been over Google a bit but ....

If I can explain this: ( I am sure I might not use the "proper" term somewhere, please excuse me )

I have a png image with a transparent background.
    If I re-size the canvas, the only method I know to make the new image include the
expanded canvas is to Image -> Flatten Image.
   This removes the transparent background and replaces it with the present background color from the tool bar.
   The same type of thing happens to me with text. In order to have the text as part of the image,
I have to go to Image -> Flatten Image. Once again it removes the current transparent background
and replaces with the present background color from the tool bar.

My question(s) is/are then:

Is there a way to make the image not loose the transparent background, ie
use something other than Flatten Image
    or
    Is there a way to set the background selected color on the tool bar to transparent?

Thanks so much for your time,

kumado
Try Layer>Layer to image size to extend a layer with transparency so that if fills the whole canvas.

But why do you need to do this? It is usually better to keep layers as a rather tight fit on their contents. Add more layers if you need to paint elsewhere....
Flatten image is a bad idea. I don't think I have ever used it. (And I seldom use merge down.)

A better way to work is to keep all your layers intact. SAVE as a .xcf. Then EXPORT as a .png. This will preserve the transparency. If you ever need to go back and edit your image open the .xcf and do your edits there. Then once again export as png.
Thanks Ofnuts, layer -> layer to image size did it perfectly.
so close, couple menus over - sigh.

Quote:But why do you need to do this? It is usually better to keep layers as a rather tight fit on their contents. Add more layers if you need to paint elsewhere....

Trying to make it short,
    I am a high school instructor that does Gimp, Blender, HTML, PHP, JS, CSS, C / C++, MySQL, Computer H&S, Networking, text/presentation/spreadsheets,......
   I have a BS in Eng Tech, A+ and IC3 Cert and there is so much that you could probably fill a thimble with what I do know.
   I am mainly a programmer at base and can do "programmer" art.
   I only do what I can / know till I find a better way either by trial or from person kind enough like you with your answer.

Blighty probably has the better method like you are saying to keep more than one layer and add more layers. Right now, that is beyond me but you two have me wanting to dig into it.
    I have done quite a bit with GiMP and love it, but you can probably image right now, I did it the HARD way  Rolleyes .

Thanks again!
kumado
If I read your original post correctly

Quote:.. I have a png image with a transparent background.

Then it is an opened image, one layer with a transparent background

then

Quote:.. If I re-size the canvas, the only method I know to make the new image include the
expanded canvas is

using Image -> Canvas Size for a new size

1. original size
2. New canvas size
3. set Resize layers to All layers
4. centre or set an offset as required.

Gives the canvas, transparent background, new size.
Got to be blind as a bat, right there practically under my mouse pointer as I go.
Thanks Rich, that works perfectly.
I now have a solution for both canvas re-size and for new text.
I really have to get the time to dig into using layers more too.

Thanks everyone!
kumado
I wanted to say my thanks again and add I have been trying to work in layers.
I think I like this a lot!

also, can this be tagged solved?

thanks

kumado
I never think it very necessary, but if you want, just go to your original post and edit the title.
Quote:My question(s) is/are then:

-snip-

kumado

thank you for this opportunity to contribute

there is a way to expand the layer to the canvas size so you don't have that annoying yellow and black band around your image when you expand the canvas and still preserve the transparency

1. make a new layer

2. move the original layer above the new layer

3. flatten

voila!
(07-18-2023, 01:51 AM)grasshausstudios Wrote:
Quote:My question(s) is/are then:

-snip-

kumado

thank you for this opportunity to contribute

there is a way to expand the layer to the canvas size so you don't have that annoying yellow and black band around your image when you expand the canvas and still preserve the transparency

1. make a new layer

2. move the original layer above the new layer

3. flatten

voila!

If Flatten is Flatten image then you lose the transparency. Perhaps you meant Merge down.

But Layer > Layer to image size does it in one step...