Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
modifying raw/tiff files
I installed ufraw. But i was expecting to modify a raw image in a way like in GIMP with a jpeg or png etc. Having all the tools (copy/paste, blend, layers, etc.). But you dont. All you get in urfraw is a histogram, EXIF info, etc. Not the basic tools. 

What if i wanted to blow up an image using a raw image, while also doing tasks such as
http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-removin...m-an-image
UFRaw has basic color tools and cropping. Why did you expect it to do something its developer never advertised? Smile

Also, what do you mean by "blowing up an image using a raw image"?
(10-20-2016, 02:06 AM)metulburr Wrote: I installed ufraw. But i was expecting to modify a raw image in a way like in GIMP with a jpeg or png etc. Having all the tools (copy/paste, blend, layers, etc.). But you dont. All you get in urfraw is a histogram, EXIF info, etc. Not the basic tools. 

What if i wanted to blow up an image using a raw image, while also doing tasks such as
http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-removin...m-an-image

UFRaw is a demosaicing application. Its job is to turn the sensor data (CR2, NEF, RAW...) into your usual RGB  bitmap. Since it has all the sensor data (on 12 or 14 bits, usually) it is at the right place to do global level and color processing and filter out noise. Some of these applications will even support masks to apply different processing to different part of the image. Some can also include lens distortion correction.

But these are not general image editors. The usual workflow is to spend a good deal of time in the demosaicing application, save the image, and then use Gimp on that to do the "local" edits (remove blemishes, cut out people, etc...).

UFRaw is getting obsolete, there are better alternatives, such as RawTherapee, Darktable, Photoflow (which can also be used as a Gimp plugin(*)).

(*) plug-in as in "file loader plugin", you won't go back and forth between the demosaicing and your Gimp image.