Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] GimpForums.com rebirth as Gimp-Forum.net
Quote:I have used gimp for over 10 years - probably closer to 13 and am still not "expert"...

Using Gimp about the same length of time, first in Windows and then linux. One thing is certain. There is always something new to learn.

IMHO best way to learn Gimp is experiment and have fun using it.
(10-30-2016, 12:03 PM)sallyanne Wrote: We are not all master gimpers at GC.

No, they arent. The masters become mods (ofnuts, rich, Wallace, etc.) or people who give advice (soulgoode, RobA).
But actually there is a level beyond that.
The professionals, who use opensource software for something that is as good as its made with an Adobe or Corel product.
But it seems those people are not very interested anymore in participating with the crowd, except for making money.
(10-30-2016, 09:36 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: The professionals, who use opensource software for something that is as good as its made with an Adobe or Corel product.

I read this to mean that with Adobe products amateurs can do things that look professional Smile
I think Espermaschine wants to convey that there is perhaps a level beyond that of masters on the forums - those who use GIMP etc on a professional level.

In his/ her own words 'But it seems those people are not very interested anymore in participating with the crowd, except for making money.' which I tend to agree with completely, based on my experience of using (as a normal user and not tweaking) open source OS like Ubuntu.

Regarding 'I read this to mean that with Adobe products amateurs can do things that look professional', I beg to differ; with my limited experience with PS, I can say with confidence that an amateur can mess up equally with GIMP and PS. Perhaps PS may allow one to work faster and may have more short cuts.

PS: This is the opinion of a rank novice.
(10-31-2016, 07:04 AM)Yash Pal Wrote: In his/ her own words 'But it seems those people are not very interested anymore in participating with the crowd, except for making money.' which I tend to agree with completely, based on my experience of using (as a normal user and not tweaking) open source OS like Ubuntu.

I don't know if it's just money or saturation. At some point you have answered the same questions multiple times. Your remark on Ubuntu is interesting. I'm supposed to be a Linux guru(*) in some circles, and this is part of why I have a job. I do google a lot of things on the StackOverflow network, but seldom answer because over time the unanswered questions on SO are very likely to be much too specific and out of my comfort zone, and answering them correctly would take me hours, and this isn't part of my job description and objectives...

(*) but like evebody else I'm a complete fraud. There are things I know well, but just setting up this forum made me foray in completely uncharted territory....
(10-30-2016, 09:45 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 09:36 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: The professionals, who use opensource software for something that is as good as its made with an Adobe or Corel product.

I read this to mean that with Adobe products amateurs can do things that look professional Smile

Hardly. There is nothing in PS that an amateur can use to make something look more professional.
An amateur who plays around with layerstyles for five minutes, will not get something more professional, than a gimper doing the same with layereffects in Gimp.
Although you could buy a style and apply it with a one click, but thats just a cheaper of way hiring an artist.

Photoshop has a few more developed tools, but i find working with PS horrible. Everything is so complicated and unintuitive.

(10-31-2016, 01:28 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I don't know if it's just money or saturation. At some point you have answered the same questions multiple times.

No doubt Smile

Actually my point was: where are all the people beyond the so called "advanced level" of Gimpchat, who make stuff that looks really professional ?
Do they exist ? Are they bored of the repeating questions and live like a hermit ?
Or is that really all there is.
(10-31-2016, 02:42 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Actually my point was: where are all the people beyond the so called "advanced level" of Gimpchat, who make stuff that looks really professional ?
Do they exist ? Are they bored of the repeating questions and live like a hermit ?
Or is that really all there is.

I think you need to be more specific about which application you are looking for experts in: Photography, Graphic Design, Painting, Something else?
(10-31-2016, 03:55 PM)Kevin Wrote: I think you need to be more specific about which application you are looking for experts in: Photography, Graphic Design, Painting, Something else?

You are right ! Im thinking mostly of graphics design.
Image manipulation in companion with photography has a lot of followers with lots of excellent results.
There are also lots of very good digital painters.

When it comes to Inkscape and illustrations, the air is getting thinner and when it comes to what i see on Gimpchat, i dont think there is much happening qualitywise. Its mainly a hobby forum, where a community is killing time.
No professional would say this is the place for advanced users.
And this is not about slagging off GC, but if Gimp is an alternative to PS that you can use professionally, where are those people using it ?

ofnuts Wrote:I read this to mean that with Adobe products amateurs can do things that look professional

When i said using Corel or Adobe products to produce something "professionally", what i really meant is this:
go to design.tutsplus.com/tutorials.
Have a look at what is shown there and then compare to what you see on GC.

I can reproduce most of these tutorial with open source programs. Maybe the workflow is different but the result will look similar.
Where on the web is a place that deals with this level of proficiency ?
(10-31-2016, 07:53 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: When i said using Corel or Adobe products to produce something "professionally", what i really meant is this:
go to design.tutsplus.com/tutorials.
Have a look at what is shown there and then compare to what you see on GC.

I would say that's more a job for Inkscape than GIMP.

Searching that site for Inkscape turned up quite a lot of hits: https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/search/inkscape
(10-31-2016, 08:35 PM)Kevin Wrote: I would say that's more a job for Inkscape than GIMP.

Searching that site for Inkscape turned up quite a lot of hits: https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/search/inkscape

There are also a lot of tutorials for Photoshop. The point im making is the level of quality.