Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any way to change Rectangle Select to the way it looked in 2.6?
So, I'm a casual user transitioning over to Gimp 2.8, and one of my major gripes with it is the fact that the rectangle select tool has a double border.  In 2.6, the rectangle select tool was a single line, and was much more precise.  Here's what I mean:
[Image: GxNClLQ.png]In 2.6, that purple line was exact - you knew exactly what pixels you were selecting, and the resulting marching ants resided exactly along that purple line.  In 2.8, however, the resulting marching ants wind up somewhere in between those two lines, which makes it a lot harder to select things at the pixel level.  Is there any way to change the way this looks?

Thanks,
Sean
I can see the difference, this an actual comparison, Gimp 2.6 on the left, 2.8 right, Win10

No way that I know of reverting to the former and no developers on this forum, however I can virtually guarantee that it will not change.

It is possible to have both Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.6 installed alongside. While Gimp 2.8 un-installs Gimp 2.6, the reverse is not true.
(11-25-2017, 08:11 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I can see the difference, this an actual comparison, Gimp 2.6 on the left, 2.8 right, Win10

No way that I know of reverting to the former and no developers on this forum, however I can virtually guarantee that it will not change.

It is possible to have both Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.6 installed alongside. While Gimp 2.8 un-installs Gimp 2.6, the reverse is not true.

Gotcha.  The problem I'm running into is that almost all plugins are written for 2.8, so 2.6 is becoming obsolete.  Is it possible that these rectangles might be controlled by theming Gimp, or does it go deeper than that?  Furthermore, is there a different forum I could post this concern on that might attract the attention of some devs?
AFAIK a different theme will not change it.

Get to the developers at their mailing list

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/...loper-list

You could try using the Gimp bug site. Post it as a 'wish'

https://www.gimp.org/bugs/ go down to the list open bugs (all) then top of that page is a New account/log in.
There were even more people complaining about the new path tool display. On high-def displays, the single pixel line would be nearly invisible. Even with a standard-definition screen (100-120DPI these days) individual pixels are hard to see, and you have to zoom in if you want some accuracy.