Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black and White
Hey GIMP fam,

I need some help. Would it be possible to make everything black and white besides the butterfly? Can you please offer some suggestions or do it for me?

Thanks,

Richiie [Image: smile.png]

PS here is the link to the picture: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
richiie Wrote:or do it for me?
Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he feeds himself for life.

There are many ways to do it, for example one way to do it and the logic behind...

Level 1 beginner (very easy all "manual"):
In that image what colors are dominant?
> Green and red (hand and butterfly are red based)
> go to channel duplicate the red channel > thus red-ishes colors increase = easier to select
> Select by colors ("add to current" mode) with the select by color tool > select hand and butterfly > it should be very quick depending the setting of your tool.
> then clean around with the free select tool in "subtract" mode
> Select > Remove holes (always useful)
> then Colors > Desaturate >  Desaturate
Done (made in a matter of a minute)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:...Would it be possible to make everything black and white besides the butterfly?...

If you go here https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/  At the end there is an example of a desaturated background.

Edit: FWIW - Do you have a larger version, that image is very small. Because of the size, it is as easy to use the clone tool to remove the stick and its shadow. However

Duplicate the layer, desaturate the top layer, add a layer mask (white) make the layer mask active and paint in the layer below.

(09-26-2021, 06:50 AM)PixLab Wrote:
richiie Wrote:or do it for me?
Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he feeds himself for life.

There are many ways to do it, for example one way to do it and the logic behind...

Level 1 beginner (very easy all "manual"):
In that image what colors are dominant?
> Green and red (hand and butterfly are red based)
> go to channel duplicate the red channel > thus red-ishes colors increase = easier to select
> Select by colors ("add to current" mode) with the select by color tool > select hand and butterfly > it should be very quick depending the setting of your tool.
> then clean around with the free select tool in "subtract" mode
> Select > Remove holes (always useful)
> then Colors > Desaturate >  Desaturate
Done (made in a matter of a minute)
Man, that doesn't apply to me. I am vegetarian haha
Thanks a lot for the insight. On a real note I am extremely busy with university and my business, however, I like what you did with the edit thanks a lot for your help. One last thing the black and white is very dominant. Can you please demonstrate and show me how to add a bit of color to the picture while removing the hand please?

Thanks so much,

Richiie
This ?

[Image: t076tzP.png]

[Image: 7pzpN9R.png]

Using Layer mask

[Image: IrEG8Tv.png]
(09-27-2021, 05:19 AM)richiie Wrote: Man, that doesn't apply to me. I am vegetarian haha
Thanks a lot for the insight. On a real note I am extremely busy with university and my business, however, I like what you did with the edit thanks a lot for your help. One last thing the black and white is very dominant. Can you please demonstrate and show me how to add a bit of color to the picture while removing the hand please?

Thanks so much,
Richiie

Removing the hand is the same way than there https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Black
But I don't know exactly what do you mean by "add a bit of color to the picture", so I will take it as "on the whole picture" (as @meetdilip did it partially on a B&W background by bringing some vegetation up, and @rich2005 did show you the mask)

For this method, you need to select the butterfly alone and separate it from its BG Big Grin
A step by step (it's easy):

> Import in GIMP your image > name that layer "B&W background"
> Duplicate it! Name that duplicated layer "butterfly alone"
> On the "butterfly alone" layer select the butterfly with the path tool (it's tiny = it's fast)
> Then go to Select/From Path (click on a brush tool to no see anymore the path)
> Add a mask to the "butterfly alone" layer > a window opens select "Selection" > OK
> Select/None
> un-tick the eye of the "butterfly alone" layer = it become invisible
> select the layer "B&W background"

Now we remove the hand AND the butterfly at the same time on that "B&W background" layer, I'll give with G'MIC

> Paint the hand and the butterfly with the pencil tool (not the paintbrush) with a pur red color (html notation is ff0000)
> Filters/G'MIC-Qt > Repair/Inpaint[Patch Based] (if you don't like the result just do a Ctrl+Z and re-do G'MIC)

Now you should see only the vegetation > no more hand nor butterfly
> tick/check the eye of the layer "butterfly alone" to make it visible
> then select the layer "B&W background"
> then go to Colors/Hue saturation... Play with the saturation <down (and lightness if you wish)
> Magic is happening live, stop when you feel you got enough color in the background

select with a path tool

The red map for G'MIC

Hue Saturation on the layer below the butterfly

The xcf file if you wish
https://filetransfer.io/data-package/RdtIXYpz#link