Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing background of image without hiding the text
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm hoping you can help me.  I'm new to GIMP, and I was wondering how I would go about changing the red background of the sign in the image to the flag in the other image without covering over the text on the sign?  Thanks in advance.

I've tried to isolate the red as mentioned in https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Separa...+decompose to make a selection but the result is not crisp. Rescale the flag a little so it is about the dimension of the text panel. Put the rescaled flag image in the image with the text man (man is layer 2 / flag is layer 1). Set the layer 2 to 50% opacity so you can see the flag. Set the layer 2 to 100% opacity. Select layer 1 and transform the flag with the handle transform tool so it fit with the text board. Set the layer 2 to 100% opacity. Select layer 2. I suggest you make a selection of the red using the path tool and then convert the path to a selection ( in gimp : Select / To Path). If now delete the selected (delete button on keyboard) you see the flag under the text. I suggest to desaturate the layer with the man/textboard because there is some red visible arround the text panel. You have to make some shining on the flag that is now the color of the panel using the gimp paintbrush (use a new transparent layer).
I can not see any really easy way to get a result.  This using two layer masks one to leave the text in the flag and above that one to reinstate the background.

Looks better on that screenshot than it actually is. One case where a small degraded image is not an advantage. Too many jpeg artifacts Wink