Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone tool is darker then what it is cloning
It uses to be an exact match. But now it darker then the part I'm cloning. No matter what area I try to clone from, it's always going darker then what I pick from and had become pointless. 
I don't know if there is a setting for this that has been changed or what is going on. I need it to be an exact clone of what I take from. Like it uses to be.
I have 2.8.16 

top left I cloned a line moving down from the right and it doesn't match.
bottom right it's going so dark it almost black.
The Paint Tools all have their own Blendmodes.
Is it set to Normal in the Tools Options ?

Multiply, for example, could cause this behaviour.
(03-23-2018, 03:56 AM)Ezz9 Wrote: It uses to be an exact match. But now it darker then the part I'm cloning. No matter what area I try to clone from, it's always going darker then what I pick from and had become pointless. 
I don't know if there is a setting for this that has been changed or what is going on. I need it to be an exact clone of what I take from. Like it uses to be.
I have 2.8.16 

top left I cloned a line moving down from the right and it doesn't match.
bottom right it's going so dark it almost black.

Did you solve this. Same problem, using normal mode, soft brush etc, I can't use gimp untill it clones the same as the selected spot.
That original post was for Gimp 2.8 but 2.8 or 2.10 I can not reproduce the problem in normal use and I use the clone tool a lot.

Can you give more details, a screenshot showing tool options and layer modes often helps find a solution.

This is a standard setup (tool options detached so everything shows) using the clone tool in registered mode, cloning from layer-to-layer and when I difference the layers get the expected, they cancel each other out no difference between them https://i.imgur.com/rHqjMJy.mp4

As a start check tool mode / tool opacity / layer opacity / layer mode. Does it happen with all brush types ?
(05-26-2022, 08:26 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That original post was for Gimp 2.8 but 2.8 or 2.10 I can not reproduce the problem in normal use and I use the clone tool a lot.

Can you give more details, a screenshot showing tool options and layer modes often helps find a solution.

This is a standard setup (tool options detached so everything shows) using the clone tool in registered mode, cloning from layer-to-layer and when I difference the layers get the expected, they cancel each other out no difference between them https://i.imgur.com/rHqjMJy.mp4

As a start check tool mode / tool opacity / layer opacity / layer mode.  Does it happen with all brush types ?
Well, I changed the clone tool to heal and that fixed the issue, Thank you for your input, found the heal option with the test cloning to a new layer.
I haven't been able to get the clone tool to get an exact match.  For an exact match I use Free Select in combination with Copy and Paste.
@zeuspaul You must be doing something wrong. Can you take a screen shot of your clone tool options settings when you are trying to use it?

Smile
@sallyanne I was unaware of the long list of mode options.  I don't know what option I had selected.  I set it to normal and it seems to be working correctly now.  I will know better after some additional use and will post back if it isn't working *properly*.
glad all is working for you now
You also need to check alignment (the option is at the bottom of the tool options dialog) that it is not 'registered' I'm not sure what that is for yet either, but it doesn't do anything for me.
Fixed is the best one for stamping and if you want to copy a large area you may want to use align Smile

Smile