Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropping tool
There are a dozen and a half things with GIMP 2.10 that are driving me up the wall, but to be reasonable here I'm just going to have to bring them up separately as they come up.

Okay, I was using the crop tool, I dragged out a box, decided that I shouldn't crop this, and thus clicked a different tool.
And GIMP cropped my image.

WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!
At what point EVER is it a reasonable idea to have a tool impact an image WHEN I EXPLICTLY TELL IT TO NOT USE THAT TOOL?!?!
What kind of backwards design is this?
If I select a paint brush tool and then select a different tool would it be reasonable to expect the paintbrush to suddenly draw all over my image?  Of course not.  So why is the crop tool cropping my image when I EXPLICITLY TAKE ACTION TO NOT HAVE MY IMAGE BE CROPPED?!

This is the most asinine design I have ever seen in a program, and I use Microsoft products.

How exactly am I supposed to NOT have my image crop if I ever select this tool?
I mean for f***'s sake, not even counting just when I change my mind once I actually can see a box at a specified aspect ratio, what if I selected that tool by mistake and drew out a box over a tiny section of my image?  I would be able to clearly see the mistake, but yet it is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to simply cancel the action?  I HAVE to actually crop my image and un-do?  What kind of sense does that make?  Even if there was some one person out there who managed to find this useful, why can't I disable this backwards design?
(09-21-2021, 03:23 AM)Marscaleb Wrote: There are a dozen and a half things with GIMP 2.10 that are driving me up the wall, but to be reasonable here I'm just going to have to bring them up separately as they come up.

Okay, I was using the crop tool, I dragged out a box, decided that I shouldn't crop this, and thus clicked a different tool.
And GIMP cropped my image.

WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!
At what point EVER is it a reasonable idea to have a tool impact an image WHEN I EXPLICTLY TELL IT TO NOT USE THAT TOOL?!?!
What kind of backwards design is this?
If I select a paint brush tool and then select a different tool would it be reasonable to expect the paintbrush to suddenly draw all over my image?  Of course not.  So why is the crop tool cropping my image when I EXPLICITLY TAKE ACTION TO NOT HAVE MY IMAGE BE CROPPED?!

This is the most asinine design I have ever seen in a program, and I use Microsoft products.

How exactly am I supposed to NOT have my image crop if I ever select this tool?
I mean for f***'s sake, not even counting just when I change my mind once I actually can see a box at a specified aspect ratio, what if I selected that tool by mistake and drew out a box over a tiny section of my image?  I would be able to clearly see the mistake, but yet it is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to simply cancel the action?  I HAVE to actually crop my image and un-do?  What kind of sense does that make?  Even if there was some one person out there who managed to find this useful, why can't I disable this backwards design?

I partially forgive your rant just because you said "and I use Microsoft products.", that made me smile
but seriously why are you scolding us?
So I'll answer the same way you spoke to us

And the freakin' [esc] key is made for what? to decorate your freakin' keyboard?!!!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=esc+key&...hl=en&sa=X

Just in case you did not notice this, yet.. Selections are working the same way. And no, it is not backward but very useful => if you don't want anymore, just hit the [Esc] key Wink
I remember programs that ask every time when one want to cancel edit or something else and have not answered to the question from the computer :  save / do not save / cancel. When one click on another icon the computer is still waiting until you click on one of the possibilities the computer ask (that is what he do) to the user (save /do not / save). In some cases when one want to close a program the computer ask : do you really want to close the program?. In the early days when I was in a computer club and discussed with programming friend we made sometimes jokes about this issue : how many times must you ask the user what he want to do, if he really want to do that, if he sure he isn't make a mistake to do something, is it sure he isn't wrong, and so on.... As a programmer one have always to consider how to use the tools in a program the easy way. As PixLab mentioned : in the time one developed a computer keyboard to conversate with the user one have discovered the need of a 'escape' button : very useful in several situations. In gimp one can also use : 'Edit / Undo'  to undo a manipulation. Found on : https://teluguone.com/comedy/content/fun...29358.html

(09-21-2021, 05:25 AM)PixLab Wrote: but seriously why are you scolding us?

Because this program is a tool that people use for their livelihoods, and changing the functionality without any option to set it back is irresponsible. That interferes with people's workflows and halts production.

I'm tempted to make another comparison to Microsoft, but this time you wouldn't smile. Please don't be like Microsoft.

(09-21-2021, 05:25 AM)PixLab Wrote: Just in case you did not notice this, yet.. Selections are working the same way.

But selections didn't change. That is the fundamental issue here. This change has taken away functionality from the program, and THAT is what is backwards. Fundamentally this change should be "adding a new feature," because now you can make fast crops without worrying that you slightly moved the crop selection. I get that; this can save clicks and that improves efficiency.
But this functionality has been FORCED onto users, whether they want to use that feature or not, and that is fundamentally removing a feature. This is a notable change to a tool's workflow, and that kind of change needs to be optional or else it destroys user workflow.

And quite frankly, selections are a whole different ball game. It is part of a normal workflow to make a selection and then switch to another tool because strictly speaking the selection tool does not operate by itself; there is no value in making a selection except in using it in conjunction with other tools. It's not a fair comparison.

(09-21-2021, 05:25 AM)PixLab Wrote: if you don't want anymore, just hit the [Esc] key Wink
Okay, first off: that requires an additional action, which is literally the exact opposite of the gain I admit this feature could have had.
Second off, the keyboard is not always accessible. I do most of my drawing on my tablet, and the keyboard cover is folded behind my tablet. It is a very inconvenient process to unfurl it and prop it up just to hit one key, and pulling up the on-screen keyboard is only slightly less inconvenient. On top of that, when I'm drawing on my desktop I'm using my wacom tablet, and one hand is holding the pen and one hand is holding the tablet. I'd have to let go of my tablet to switch to using the keyboard. That disrupts my flow.

Also, I would like to mention that while "undo" is an option, it isn't one we should hang everything on. Sometimes we are working on large images that push our memory to its limits, and an action like cropping the entire image eats up a lot of undo history.

And I want to point out that this change has likewise impacted the transform tools like scale and shear and rotate, all of which are likewise tools that could cause catastrophic changes to an image (especially when set to apply to all layers) while also requiring a substantial portion of undo history. But at least they have their own special option box that one can close. (Although the "cancel" button is now missing from that box for some reason. I mean I know the "close" button is there so the "cancel" button was superfluous, but still that change seems counter-intuitive.)
@Marscaleb
If you find the program does not do what you expect and you find it's  a bug
why not go to their bugtracker and tell them there?
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
(maybe in a polite way)
Nobody makes mistakes on purpose.

And please see: no developer of GIMP is here in the forum ...
so we are the wrong recipients of your anger.