Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp high resolution error
Hello Everyone,

I have been using Gimp 2.10.18 on a Kubuntu 20.04  (Ubuntu 20.04 with KDE) system.

I have a 757 kB pdf file that I would like open with high resolution.
After a given high resolution (e.g. 6000 dpi) I am getting the following error message:

Calling error for procedure 'gimp-image-insert-layer':

Procedure 'gimp-image-insert-layer' has been called with an invalid ID for argument 'layer'.

Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn't exist any longer.

I understand that the theoretical resolution limit is 65535 dpi, and I can increase the required max memory that Gimp uses.
(In this implementation, if the image requires more memory than set in the preferences, the system simply just asks for it for me to agree.)

Any way to open such a file with high resolution?

Thanks, Peter
How many pages in the PDF?
As Ofnuts, how many pages ?  If you get ImageMagick (IM) from https://imagemagick.org/script/download.php you can get a bang up-to-date portable (appimage) version 7.1  This in a kubuntu 20.04 / Gimp 2.10.28

I found a pdf roughly the same size in kb and trying to open in Gimp with 6000 ppi get exactly the same error message. (and for smaller values as well)

Using IM top to bottom
The pdf
Find the pdf properties (IM identify)
Try a conversion to jpg @ 6000 ppi  which crashes
Try a conversion to jpg @ 3000 ppi and get a result - 2 pages as jpegs.
For this particular pdf, that is a big file both in pixel size and size opened in Gimp. Remember 3000 ppi is a quarter the size (in pixels) of a 6000 ppi image.

You might get something out that way. The IM command is

Code:
./magick -density xxxppi in.pdf  -quality (value) out.jpg
Thanks for the replies!

The document is a single page.
Yes, I do get the same error for lower resolution as well, not sure exactly at what dpi is the failure, but the conversion that still works for me is not high enough.

Is that  a bug in Gimp?
Would a later version of Gimp  work? - as I see it it still would not work.
I have to familiarize myself with IM.

EDIT:
Tried to open the document with IM 6.9.10-23, it failed, it complained about "security policy PDF, ..."
Okular reports the pdf file as "unencripted, PDF V. 1.4"
Acrobat XI reports that "page extraction is not allowed". Looks like Gimp is not concerned about that, but IM is.

(Looks like I also have to update my profile ;-)

Thanks again, Peter
Hello Everyone,

Looking a bit deeper into the high resolution pdf file opening failure, there is a bug report about this on gimp.org:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/311

Amazingly, that bug was reported first about 12 years ago!
There seems to be some patches offered, but it is not clear if those patches fully cure the problem.
If they do, how come they are not included in the "official" releases?

Any comment on the above?

Thanks, Peter
You need to ask the devs about it. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/
I have drawn their attention to old bugs before without success, however in this case it might be a cairo issue which is out of their control.