Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to create a blank (fully transparent) dds file
Am currently playing a modded version of Skyrim Special Edition (SSE; not the latest Anniversary Edition) on my pc, and have come across an issue I just cannot get my head around

1.) A butterfly spawns on me all the time, and just won't go away; even player.setrace or player.sexchange will only temporarily fix it. Sometimes it's back after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes. It's completely at random - and it's driving me crazy!

2.) I have tried multiple forums and lots of different ideas as to how to get rid of it - but eventually it will always spawn back.

3.) That said, I have identified the texture that's used (it's always the same one) for this butterfly. So my idea is to either ...

• take this texture dds file, and render it empty / blank / transparent, or

• create a new texture dds file that only is transparent (and nothing else), and name it per the dds texture file as currently being in use.

Never having used GIMP before (maybe once or twice to resave a certain file into another format, but that's it), I did play around in v2.10. Sadly I haven't been able to rectify this. While I can change the texture file, it's the transparency that somehow doesn't get carried over. After removing the background (where the actual picture obviously sits) and exporting the file, the large icon of the file always looks black - which the butterfly then also does in SSE.

Would anyone be able to kindly give me some guidance as to how I can create a merely transparent dds file that will be recognized as transparent ingame? That way the butterfly would technically still be there - I just wouldn't see it anymore.

Thanks for any hint!
What you really need is another Skyrim game player with Gimp experience. Who knows one might turn up Wink

If you post the broken file(s) maybe someone will have a fix.

There is guide here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-To...DDS-Plugin

These .dds files in Gimp 2.10 seem to be a constant source of problems. Especially since the Gimp developers incorporated the .dds plugin into the regular Gimp system files.
Thanks, @rich2005, will read that guide and see if I can get this to work somehow.

Cheers
Searching through the Gimp 'issues' more than one about DDS and transparency

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/is...gins%3ADDS