Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meta Data comparison
Hi:
I take a few hundred photos at various sporting events.
I was wondering if there was a way to compare some of the items in the meta data
I'd like to know lets say the avg focal length of the lens
Can I view maybe the meta data from 10 photos uploaded to an excel spread sheet and do a sort?
Thanks
One of the coding experts might come up with a script. The command is there in Gimp to give a string of all the meta data.

I am assuming that all the meta data is a bit over-the-top, using an alternative ImageMagick. a command line application. http://www.Imagemagick.org This is assuming jpeg files. RAW is more complicated and needs a working ufraw-batch installation (which I do not have)

You can see the exif information in a single file using
Code:
magick identify -format '%[EXIF:*]' image.jpg
Which gives a long listing of what is available - much the same as viewing the metadata in Gimp, the same sort of naming convention.

To get a text file out for just certain aspects of a set of image might look like this
Code:
magick identify  -format "%i ,  %[Exif:DateTime]  , %[Exif:FocalLengthIn35mmFilm]  /  "  *.jpg > info.txt
where %i is the filename , date , focal-length, /(separator) (wildcard).jpg out-to-a-text file
....and for a few jpegs' I get this:

p1010170.jpg , 2014:08:01 13:41:06 , 57 / p1010197.jpg , 2014:09:26 09:30:02 , 98 / pentax0010.jpg , 2012:05:25 11:13:36 , 33 / pentax0074.jpg , 2012:09:09 14:36:04 , 25 /

Still not great for a spreadsheet but breaking the text at the / would give a csv file.

It might also be possible using exivtool but that is not something I am familiar with.

It might be worth asking the question on https://discuss.pixls.us/ where (some) professional photographers frequent.
(09-22-2021, 01:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Still not great for a spreadsheet but breaking the text at the / would give a csv file.

@rich2005, I think that's great and this will give already a good spreadsheet.

I would just add, you might want to try \n instead of / (or \r\n on non posix system/windows) this will put each result on a new line
Then when you import in your favorite spreadsheet tell it to use the , (comma) for column > you will be able to calculate the average focal length