Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move a text layer.
Is there a way to do this?  The move tool doesn't work on text layers apparently.
I create a lot of text layers programatically and I don't want to have to use the resize tools afterwards just to move the text around. I want the same dimensions... just placed in a different location.

Does anyone have a any tips or tricks for this?
The Move Tool works for me.

Are we talking about textlayers here ? Or text converted to path ?

The Move Tool has several "modes", and can also move paths and selections.
I actually just saw an old post on this. The move tool doesn't seem to work in Windows for text layers, it always moves the first (non-text) layer underneath. However, ALT-SHIFT while having the text tool selected does work. So problem solved. Thanks!

EDIT: After more research the move tool DOES work, you just have to be careful to actually click on part of a letter. If you catch any transparency it will attempt to move background layers.
(12-22-2017, 04:33 PM)ssallen Wrote: EDIT: After more research the move tool DOES work, you just have to be careful to actually click on part of a letter.  If you catch any transparency it will attempt to move background layers.

You got it - With the Text Tool active, alt-shift will move the text layer.

Otherwise and for any layer with transparency, where you have problems moving it.

With the move tool active, enable Move the Active layer in the tool options.  

(12-22-2017, 04:33 PM)ssallen Wrote: EDIT: After more research the move tool DOES work, you just have to be careful to actually click on part of a letter.  If you catch any transparency it will attempt to move background layers.

Yes, by default the Move tool is in auto-select mode, it selects the topmost layer that is opaque where you click. This may be a bit confusing at the beginning, but you will find this behaviour extremely practical the day you deal with several layers (for instance, trying to find the best arrangement of several text layers). In the mean time you can depress the Control key to make it move the active layer.