Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable Gimp 2.9.9 for linux
Time to end this old version. There are newer better appimage versions here:

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/

--------
Edit: - version is now 2.9.9 - everything else applies

Want to keep your existing Gimp 2.8.x and run a Linux Portable Gimp 2.9.9?

Note: This is meant to be used with Gimp 2.8.x - There are dependencies from regular Gimp used by 2.9.9

This works for me in Kubuntu 16.04 64bit.
It should work in other 16.x 64bit 'buntus.  It might work in 14.x 'buntu
It might even work in equivalent version of Mint.
A long shot possibility in other Debian based versions.

Nothing clever, it is assembled using a script and the 'buntu 'gimp-edge' ppa. This updates regularly and I will attempt to keep the following to the current build.

edit: updated 25 December 2017 
Due to updates to GEGL this is only for versions of Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18 and later + derivatives
More dependency hell with Ubuntu 18.x versions. This Gimp 2.9.9 appimage is stuck with this release which is Dec 2017
Still very usable, no recent feature additions, just bug fixes

This link is now closed
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZbPfJ7ZSkQryGQEr8VICbQTzvPShfoD6SDy 92 MB

Unzip and run. It will run from your home partition. Same as a regular gimp, first run it creates a gimp profile, in this case ~/.config/GIMP/2.9  It will copy all your resources from ~/.gimp-2.8 so to save a lot of editing, temporarily rename ~/.gimp-2.8 and a new empty Gimp 2.9 profile is created.

First run looks like this.

I am not keen on those dark themes, so this is my preference + a shot of one nice addition to Gimp 2.9 - new layer options.  Plenty other new things to explore.

Plugins edit: 13 April 2019 updated gmic_gimp_qt version 2.5.6 pre and nufraw v0.42
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=...T26JnF97oy 8 MB

Some plugins that work. Unpack the zip, these go in ~/.config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins. Plenty of deprecated procedure warnings annoyance, so I advise running as

Code:
GIMP299.bin --pdb-compat-mode=on

bimp17x64 <<< this has a dependency libpcre3 - install that package from your linux repository.
fourierx64
djvu-read <<< mainly for those academic documents

gmic_gimp_qt
gmic_gimp179 <<< last of the series, can be installed alongside ver 2.0 installed.

guillotine-into-layersx64
nufraw-gimp
plasma2x64
plugin-heal-selection.pyThis link is now closed
resynthesizer29
resynthesizer_gui29 <<< small change to gui with added options
smooth-path64

Bugs
This is a development version, there will be bugs.
If Gimp 2.9.9 - any version - crashes a lot, first thing to check is
Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources -> Number-of-Threads-to-use Set this to 1

Final word - absolutely no guarantees Wink Any feedback will be welcome. It might only work on my computer, in which case I will scrap the thread.
thaks
(12-01-2016, 03:26 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Want to keep your existing Gimp 2.8.x and run a Linux Portable Gimp 2.9.5?

This works for me in Kubuntu 16.04 64bit.

edit: see first post for updates

Terrifically useful. Thanks. I'm a huge fan of 2.9.x, as I can finally work in ProPhotoRGB. I updated to 16.04 from 14.04, and cannot get 2.9.x to work correctly. Your compiled version works fine. Excellent and appreciated.
Is this an Appimage?  If so, I really like using Appimages, but I often have issues when trying to update them.  Currently I am using 2.9.5 from this site: https://discuss.pixls.us/t/gimp-2-9-5-appimage/1959

I unzipped it, renamed my .gimp2.8 folder, made it executable, but it seems my OS (mint 18) doesn't know what kind of filetype it is.
welcome to gimp-forum.net

It is an appimage, I just do not feel the need for overlong file names.

Quote:I unzipped it, renamed my .gimp2.8 folder, made it executable, but it seems my OS (mint 18) doesn't know what kind of filetype it is.

That is correct, annoying isn't it. Open a terminal where the GIMP297.bin file is and run it with a dot-slash

Code:
./GIMP297.bin --pdb-compat-mode=on
If it works you can make a .desktop file to launch it.

The last version .appimage posted at pixls.us was gimp-2.9.7-20170829... which is very up-to-date.

Bit of a monster at 190 MB but will be more 'universal' than my appimage which is assembled from the 'buntu ppa. That 2.9.7 is currently 8 days old, guessing there will be an update soon. I do try and keep things up-to-date but if I find any major bugs (and there have been a few) update is postponed.

I have tried it in Mint 18 and AntiX VM's & seems to work ok.. My PClinuxOS rpm based distro - big fail, not a surprise.

There are differences, I believe in more hands-on, so no 'extra' plugins added. There are a few files added, example for SVG support.

The Gimp profile is the more standard ~.config/GIMP/2.9/

It is really meant to used as well as Gimp 2.8.x which pulls in some needed dependencies, main one, python-gtk packages.

Bottom line, all you can do is try and see.

edit: A quick fire-up in a Mint 18 VM, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/2zyjA5v.jpg
Thanks for the info.  They seemed to have updated Gimp at pixls.us but left the link name at 2.9.5

The plug-ins don't appear to work in the pixls.us version but they do in your version.  Why in the world is this the case?  My Felimage plugin works great also, but not on the pixls.us version.  Strange . . .
(09-02-2017, 11:28 AM)mholder Wrote: Thanks for the info.  They seemed to have updated Gimp at pixls.us but left the link name at 2.9.5

The plug-ins don't appear to work in the pixls.us version but they do in your version.  Why in the world is this the case?  My Felimage plugin works great also, but not on the pixls.us version.  Strange . . .

Carmelo always says that you can not add plug-ins. So you will have to ask. It will be the environment and libraries they are compiled against, although Gimp plugins are usually very forgiving.

It does indeed throw up plenty of error messages for my plugins Wink

[Image: YXtEZVq.jpg]

gmic-gimp-qt for example is compiled against the 'buntu gimp 2.9.7 libraries but FFT is bog-standard - should work but does not.
There is that small collection I zipped in the first post, but generally I find most python plugins work, some of the older compiled ones can fail.
Hi,

What does it mean ?

Code:
~/.config/GIMP $ ./GIMP297.bin --pdb-compat-mode=on
This is a development version of GIMP.  Debug messages may appear here.

Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description

*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "RGBA float" to "CIE Lab alpha float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "R'G'B'A float" to "CIE Lab alpha float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE Lab alpha float" to "RGBA float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE Lab alpha float" to "R'G'B'A float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE LCH(ab) double" to "R'G'B' double"
[/build/gimp-nac9OS/gimp-2.9.7~13/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] trying to call 'darktable'
[/build/gimp-nac9OS/gimp-2.9.7~13/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] stdout:
this is darktable 2.2.5
copyright (c) 2009-2017 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
  bit depth is 64 bit
  normal build
  SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
  OpenMP support enabled
  OpenCL support enabled
  Lua support enabled, API version 4.0.0
  Colord support enabled
  gPhoto2 support enabled
  GraphicsMagick support enabled
  OpenEXR support enabled

[/build/gimp-nac9OS/gimp-2.9.7~13/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] have_darktable: 1
GIMP297.bin starts very very slowly
bye ggrub
(10-18-2017, 07:35 PM)ggrub Wrote: Hi,

What does it mean ?

Code:
~/.config/GIMP $ ./GIMP297.bin --pdb-compat-mode=on
This is a development version of GIMP.  Debug messages may appear here.

Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description

*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "RGBA float" to "CIE Lab alpha float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "R'G'B'A float" to "CIE Lab alpha float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE Lab alpha float" to "RGBA float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE Lab alpha float" to "R'G'B'A float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE LCH(ab) double" to "R'G'B' double"

That is normal, quite a bit is not yet implemented.

Quote:
Code:
[/build/gimp-nac9OS/gimp-2.9.7~13/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] trying to call 'darktable'
[/build/gimp-nac9OS/gimp-2.9.7~13/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] stdout:
this is darktable 2.2.5
copyright (c) 2009-2017 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
  bit depth is 64 bit
  normal build
  SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
  OpenMP support enabled
  OpenCL support enabled
  Lua support enabled, API version 4.0.0
  Colord support enabled
  gPhoto2 support enabled
  GraphicsMagick support enabled
  OpenEXR support enabled

[/build/gimp-nac9OS/gimp-2.9.7~13/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] have_darktable: 1

GIMP297.bin starts very very slowly

It starts slowly because it unpacks all the gimp files to the /tmp directory.

very..very..slowly I suspect because you have darktable installed which Gimp can use as a (large bloated) plugin.
Ok, but overall your compiled version works fine. (Sorry about my bad English)