Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preferences slow to open
I am a new GIMP user and just installed ver 2.10.10
GIMP opens very fast - 15 seconds but when I open Edit/Preferences it takes 2 minutes 32 seconds consistently. I've opened/closed this several times and it's always the same,2.32. It appears it may be searching its own folders for each time. Is this normal behaviour or do I need to configure something?

I noticed in Folders there are two locations for everything
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\icons
C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.10.10\gimp\share\gimp\2.0\icons

Is this normal?

I am using Windows 10 Professional (x64) 
4 core
8GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

Thank you
I am assuming the paths to Gimp C:\Program Files\..... are just a typo.

screenshots: https://imgur.com/NTEnR3P.jpg

(1) This showing in Win10 Gimp 2.10.10 that icon folder you referred to
(2) There are two sets of folders, the C:\Users.... is your Gimp profile where your resources brushes - fonts - scripts - plugins ... are placed by you. Initially empty folders The C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\... is write protected from within Gimp (but you can still mess it up with an external file manager) The usual advice is leave it alone.

The slow opening of preferences is a mystery to me, The first time I have heard that problem. Fortunately, once set up no need to visit there very often.

screenshots: https://imgur.com/8yQdDc0.jpg

You could try opening Gimp from a 'CMD' terminal with the --verbose switch. (3) That gets an error terminal. Open preferences and see if the two lines (4) start straight away or are delayed. Not sure what that will prove Smile

As a extremely-long shot and for no real reason, try turning off OpenCLEdit -> Preferences -> System Resources -> Hardware Acceleration and untick Use OpenCL

Otherwise, could be your AV but unlikely. Hopefully better advice will follow.
Quote:I am assuming the paths to Gimp C:\Program Files\..... are just a typo. 
Not a typo. I Cut & Paste from Folders...

Quote:There are two sets of folders, the C:\Users.... The usual advice is leave it alone.
That's fine. I wasn't sure if it was getting confused looking in two places but that explains it.

Quote:The slow opening of preferences is a mystery to me, The first time I have heard that problem. Fortunately, once set up no need to visit there very often.
The reason for the question. This was the first place I visited and it was slow. I didn't want it to be indicative of the program as a whole. But if you haven't heard of it then it may be an install problem.

Quote:You could try opening Gimp from a 'CMD' terminal with the --verbose switch.
I didn't get an error console. Everything opened as before.

Quote:try turning off OpenCLEdit
This was not selected.

Quote:could be your AV but unlikely.
I will check to see if I can exclude it from a/v in some way??

Thanks for your help. I will probably completely uninstall and reinstall before I play with the a/v.
I'll get back to you on that.

thanks
(06-13-2019, 04:40 PM)ipco Wrote: Thanks for your help. I will probably completely uninstall and reinstall before I play with the a/v.

Uninstalling/reinstalling rarely solve problems. These are often due to bad configuration in the Gimp profile and this one is kept across reinstalls. Better erase/rename your profile to make Gimp create a fresh one.

Long delays could be due to Gimp trying to access a drive which doesn't exist. Possible culprits are a network share or the old "phantom" diskette drive in the BIOS.
(06-13-2019, 04:53 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 04:40 PM)ipco Wrote: Thanks for your help. I will probably completely uninstall and reinstall before I play with the a/v.

Uninstalling/reinstalling rarely solve problems. These are often due to bad configuration in the Gimp profile and this one is kept across reinstalls. Better erase/rename your profile to make Gimp create a fresh one.

Long delays could be due to Gimp trying to access a drive which doesn't exist. Possible culprits are a network share or the old "phantom" diskette drive in the BIOS.

well, you're right. I completely uninstalled. removed every instance of GIMP. Cleaned the registry and reinstalled. Still the same problem exists so I renamed the profile, restarted and it's still the same. I'm not going to be overly concerned if that is the only slow issue I have.

I just didn't want to invest a lot of time on a program if it isn't going to live up to expectations.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a whirl for a week or two and see whether it and I are compatible.

Thanks for your help.
I also get this problem.

Brand new GIMP installation (today) on Windows 10 64-bit.

I initially thought GIMP was crashing when opening Edit > Preferences, but it's not, it's just taking a long time for the preferences dialog to open (20-30 seconds), during which time Windows reports the GIMP application as "(not responding)" in the GIMP application Window caption at the top.

Eventually the preferences dialog appears, and there are no problems.

This happens with no image file open in GIMP.