Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smudge Tool question
Hi everyone.
I have a question regarding the Smudge Tool in GIMP 2.8.22 and GIMP Paint Suit by Ramon Miranda.

So, as may be guessing, I use GIMP to paint, and for basic picture editing.
And, I saw in one video by Ramon Miranda, that, he has a diferent version of the Smudge Tool.

He has this "behaviour" in which, if you have two colors next to each other, using the Smudge Tool would blend them and actually mix their tones togrther. For instance, if you have Yellow next to Blue, using Smudge Tool in both would bring a Green tone.
More precisely:
[Image: 4138_mixbrush.png]
Notice how each colour blends together to create new colors.

Now: I use GIMP 2.8.22 and the latest GIMP Paint Suite. But my Smudge tool doesn't work like that.
So, WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO in order to have this behaviour with the Smudge Tool?

Thanks in advance!
PS: New in the forums.
Just tried with red/yellow Smudge Tool. I think theres orange in there? Is this the effect your after?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-01-2017, 09:57 PM)JuanMena Wrote: And, I saw in one video by Ramon Miranda, that, he has a different version of the Smudge Tool.

Would be good to know which video it was.
He has got quite a few on his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheShockito/videos
Quote:I have a question regarding the Smudge Tool in GIMP 2.8.22 and GIMP Paint Suit by Ramon Miranda.
...For instance, if you have Yellow next to Blue, using Smudge Tool in both would bring a Green tone.
More precisely.....Notice how each colour blends together to create new colors.

I can not see precisely that happening soon, mixing yellow (cmy) with blue (rgb) maybe one of the new Gimp 2.9 layer modes, I do not know.

An enhanced smudge tool which can be used as a brush is in the Gimp development version Gimp 2.9.x

Also there is the Mypaint brush engine which has overpainting/blending effects.

Taking into consideration the small number of Gimp developers who try to take into account the very different wishes of Photographers / Artists / anyone-else-with-a-particular-need, in my opinion it has gone about as far as it should go.