Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striped Brush
Hello, (first post)

I've recently started using GIMP. I'd consider myself a newbie but not completely stupid.

I would like to be able to draw striped lines. There seems to be quite a few tutorials etc on doing striped backgounds etc but I was wondering if it is possible to create a "striped" brush. I know a pattern could achieve what I want but these use fixed colours (I believe). A normal brush paints the foreground colour where it is black and nothing where it is white. Can I make a simple brush that puts the background colour where the white is instead?

The reason is to be able to draw striped lines in ANY colour (by choosing them with the fore/back colour selector. I think to do this with a pattern would require a pattern for every colour combination.

I want to draw wiring diagrams in colour using multiple coloured wires (lines) some having a stripe. e.g. RED with a YELLOW stripe

Any thoughts? [Image: confused.gif]

Thanks
You can play around with the 'Spacing'.

Spacing is the space between two brushstrokes as a percentage of the brush width.
For striped wire you can stroke a path with different colours and spacing values.

Or use the in-build Line Style.

(01-04-2018, 12:07 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: You can play around with the 'Spacing'.

Spacing is the space between two brushstrokes as a percentage of the brush width.
For striped wire you can stroke a path with different colours and spacing values.

Or use the in-build Line Style.

Thanks, yes this does work reasonably well but is a bit of a faff what with drawing lines and converting to paths etc. If there was a brush toll that used foreground and background colours then it would be really easy.

Regards
Its possible to paint with a gradient, by using a brush dynamic.
The length of one stripe is controlled by the 'Fade' value.

Even with a (unintentional) 3D effect.

(01-04-2018, 01:18 PM)Keyring Wrote: but is a bit of a faff what with drawing lines and converting to paths

You can draw paths directly with the Path Tool.

Set up a grid (Image > Configure Grid)

Then (View > Show Grid) and (View > Snap to Grid)

Now draw your paths. Then (Edit > Stroke Path)

Make lots of layers. This makes editing and correcting easier.
If you mean striped like this:

The script is meant to draw a gradient across a line (it actually draw several lines over each other, from wider to thinner, using samples for a gradient. So in your case:
  • Create you line as paths (I assume you already do so?).
  • Set the gradient to FG to BG (hard edge)
  • Set the background color to the external color
  • Set the foreground color to the inner color
  • Invoke the script
If necessary you can edit the gradient (copy it first to get a "private" version, you can't edit standard gradients), to move the edge (and so select the width of the inner line).
Thanks for the replies. Have been playing around and I think the paths / stroking method is probably most suitable. I can stroke the path on the "main" colour with 4px then stroke again in the secondary colour with a thinner width (1px) this then gives a very similar look to the actual wire. The dynamic brush also works well and is a little quicker but I can't find a way the alter the ratio of the stripes so you cannot tell which is the "main" colour and which is the "secondary"

Thanks again for your thoughts

:-)