Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symbol font not showing up in Gimp
Hello all

I downloaded a font that has NATO military map symbols, essentially like wingdings but for map markings, my problem is, that every time I type something into gimp when using the font, it shows up as a letter, everywhere else I use the font it shows up as the intended icon, help! attached is the font
(08-20-2018, 07:39 PM)lerugray Wrote: Hello all

I downloaded a font that has NATO military map symbols, essentially like wingdings but for map markings, my problem is, that every time I type something into gimp when using the font, it shows up as a letter, everywhere else I use the font it shows up as the intended icon, help! attached is the font

Font isn't attached. You may want to ZIP it (ZIPs are allowed as attachments, random file extensions are not).
(08-20-2018, 08:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 07:39 PM)lerugray Wrote: Hello all

Font isn't attached. You may want to ZIP it (ZIPs are allowed as attachments, random file extensions are not).

wont let me use rar files either, here is a link to the font page, forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=610  I am using App6a04

font is now attached to above post

tried using the font in other apps and it works fine, so its just a problem with gimp, which sucks as its a pain to use anything else.

Attached Files
.zip   APP6A04.zip (Size: 23.49 KB / Downloads: 167)
Any idea why this is happening? all of my other options are a huge pain, would much rather use GIMP
Something like this:

[Image: vpeYrkX.jpg]

From the site mapsymbs.com Had to use an alternative to the font you provided and rebuild it using FontForge. The original has the symbols buried in some distant code page.

You will probably need to use a character map copy/paste for the symbols corresponding to accented letters.

No idea what version of Gimp or OS you are using. Tried in Linux Gimp 2.10.6 and Win10 2.10.4 Works more or less.

Attached. Unzip and pop in your Gimp profile fonts folder.

Usual guarantee, there is none.

Attached Files
.zip   MFRLAND01.ttf.zip (Size: 10.52 KB / Downloads: 160)
Can you let me know how you did this? I have several other fonts that I can't get to work in GIMP in the same fashion, thank you!
(08-22-2018, 01:48 PM)lerugray Wrote: Can you let me know how you did this? I have several other fonts that I can't get to work in GIMP in the same fashion, thank you!

Use FontForge https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/ I use linux but there is a Windows version. A bit of a steep learning curve but not difficult since this is mainly copy and paste.

If you check this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/yYUKh3R.jpg
The original font file open (1). Note the characters are well down the file and easy to miss when scrolling down. Easier to find the braille section than those symbols Wink

Opened a new blank file.

Keep the map symbols in the same relative positions in the new file (2) In the example the 'number sign', same position in both files (2).

Then it is just tedious copy (ctrl-c) in one and paste (ctrl-v) in the other.

Same as any other graphics application, save frequently as you go. When all the symbols are copied over. You need to go into Element -> Font Info and give the new font some names. see: https://i.imgur.com/jPccbv0.jpg

To get a workable font file it is File -> Generate Font. Fontforge always throws up messages saying this-n-that is wrong. Generally ignore them.
Awesome, thank you so much!