Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a color mask to color a texture
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've been using GIMP for various art projects for years now. 

I have a serious problem with a project, and I feel like a brainless idiot- I discovered a tutorial a couple days ago that solved my entire problem, but now I can't find the webpage anywhere, and I've forgotten the process I need to use to make this work.

See, I have a set of textures, one is a basically black and white texture for a character model, and the other is a color mask. The color mask is set up so that the game engine can color the character's texture in-game, and it has each color scheme section split into channels. 

What I need to do is use that color mask to select sections of the actual character texture, and colorize it. I'm not sure how to do this, can anyone help me figure it out?

One idea I had was to import the mask as a new layer into the model texture, select a color section, and move that selection onto the texture layer so that I can colorize it.

However, I don't know how to move a selection shape between layers. I just want to move the selection shape, not cut and paste the actual image. 

I'll link the two texture files Link to my sample images . 

Thanks!
I have to confess that I am very unsure of your requirements.

However:

Open the two images as layers. In this case the texture is at the top of the stack so turn the visibility off.

Working on the coloured layer, make your selection, with appropriate settings, color select / threshold ..

screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/sxZF7gP.jpg

Onto the texture layer, enable visibility, the selection is still there: screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/r8C556B.jpg

Fill the selection with colour, kill the selection: screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/sCvygA9.jpg

Quote:...What I need to do is use that color mask to select sections of the actual character texture, and colorize it.

Not what you want? Give more details. I always thought that a (game) texture was grayscale.
As rich suggested, you can load one of the images as another layer, use the 'Select By Colour Tool' to make a selection and move that selection around, by setting the 'Move Tool' to 'Selection Mode'.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

So what I need to do is use the shapes on that mask image, which correspond to the color scheme sections on the grey scale texture, and colorize the sections of the grey scale texture using those shapes. I don't want to move the selection, just shift it from the color mask to the grey scale image, so that I can colorize that shape on the greyscale image.

I'm not sure how to explain this other than that- I want to use the color mask's shapes as boundaries for colorizing the grey scale image.
I think we already gave you the steps.

Open your grayscale image. Open color image as a layer on top of the grayscale image.
Make a selection with whatever selection tool you like.
Fill selection on a new transparent layer with color of your choice.
Adjust Layermode to blend with grayscale image.
That isn't working for me, when I select the shapes I want, make a new transparent layer, and try to paint onto that layer, nothing happens. It remains transparent.
Im a bit confused about your experience level.
In the first post you told us you have worked several years with Gimp.

Making selections, adding new layers, thats all basic stuff and should be no problem for a user with moderate experience.
It appears as we are missing some crucial information here.

For example when i open the Mask image in Gimp, i have no problem adding a new transparent layer, making a selection with the Select By Colour Tool on red and painting with the Brush Tool inside the selection.

So why cant you ?