Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GGR from Image
(10-06-2022, 03:08 AM)Krikor Wrote: Hello guys!

But even though, after adjusting the filter I manage to create an image identical to my original image, the .ggr is not created.

I searched for . ggr that was supposed to be created, either by refreshing the gradients window several times, or by checking the Gimp's gradient folders, and was not found.

Thank you very much in advance!

Krikor,

Just for reference, I too got an error message when trying to create a "narrow" gradient using G'mic "gradient from line" function.

But, a funny thing happened. The gradient showed up in the gradients menu...despite the claimed error.  Now this refreshes my memory that these created gradients will sometimes show up in the menu between [FG to Transparent] and the default named gradient normally immediately below it....usually  [Abstract 1]

Look in the following illustration where I had named the desired gradient "Railhalf".    AND the even better news, by right clicking on that item, a popup menu appears that includes the option "show in file manager".....which if you select will open your default file manager to the directory containing the  .ggr file.

[Image: 6ekmCTv.png]

Turns out, much of what is required to edit gradients in the gimp gradient editor, is accessed via right clicks.  With any gradient opened for editing, try right clicking in the  gradient editor dialog, and a host of selectable options appear.

A .ggr file is just an ASCII text file that can be viewed (and edited, in fact) with any text editor.  I've got a detailed sheet explaining what each  segment of a typical line in a .ggr  file stands for, if you are interested just ask, I'll be happy to share

Hi rickk,

In fact, it would be expected that the situation described in your post would occur. But this is precisely what I reported not happening.

In your example, you can find the created gradient (Railhalf) in the gradient menu.

This is precisely one of the problems I pointed out. Definitely no gradient is created using this G'MIC filter.

Both after refreshing the gradient window and after restarting the Gimp, the gradient "created" via Gradient [from Line] in G'MIC does not appear.

Even after searching the C: drive for *.ggr the given filename (AAAGradient) in Gradient [from Line] is nowhere to be found.

In the short video I made (47 seconds), I show the application of this filter on two images:

https://imgur.com/gfO4Swf

In one of them, the error appears in relation to the preview, which disappears when I uncheck the "preview gradient" option.

In the other image, this error does not occur.

In both, it assigns the same name to the gradient to be generated: AAAGradient; which is nowhere to be found on the HD of this PC:

On the menu accessed via right clicks, the option "Save as POV-Ray...", is the only one that I don't know how it works, but I still haven't been curious enough to research about it.

I've already opened some .ggr and .svg files via Notepad++, but I have no intention of needing to edit gradients via a text editor. Anyway, thanks for the offer :-)

In short, possibly some incompatibility of the G'MIC filter with the Samj's Portable version (just my guess).

Thx!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.