Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
place text on path, unwanted border on text
good news and bad news

I re-downloaded and installed the current gimp install, my original was on oct 30
and voila the new gimp version, now loads the efn text along path plugin

however it doesn't work following the steps in the demo video,
https://youtu.be/0JGKXYCdt68 , see attachments
I get the text outline in the cloud balls but when I "use another tool to get rid of control points",
using the paintbrush as in the video, I get the text outline in red, but it does not fill with color
in the next step, using fill path under edit, the next step in the demo, it just does nothing.

so I tried 'selection to path' which partially fills the text with the green foreground color, and
after that there is still is no way to fully select the text to be able to fill it with color

so  I'm dead in the water at this point. there doesn't seem to be anyway
to select the newly created outline text so that it can be filled.

and there's another problem for my intentions, the ofn solution doesn't have the
ability to select bold with the font, even if I somehow figure out how to fill in the basic text
as per the demo.

so looks like I either have to use the standard gimp text on path
and just hand paint in the voids due to text lines crossing and the like
with my first choice font
or
use standard gimp with a font that doesn't get the voids

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-05-2021, 10:22 PM)bbxrider Wrote: and there's another problem for my intentions, the ofn solution doesn't have the
ability to select bold with the font, even if I somehow figure out how to fill in the basic text
as per the demo.
Because "Bold" isn't really an "option". There are boldface variants of fonts (which aren't always called "Bold"), for instance "Noto Sans" has "Noto Sans Bold", " "Noto Sans Semi-Bold", while "Noto Sans Display" has ""Noto Sans Display Heavy" variants. So in the text tool when you select "Bold", Gimp picks one of these...In the script, you just tell which one you want.

For the voids in the selection where the characters overlap:
  • This is due to the script not working like the original "Text-along-path" function. The script only rotates characters while the original function distorts them.
  • You can avoid some of the overlap by increasing the spacing (there is a parameter in the script for this)
  • You can also use my "ofn-text-path-selection" script to get a proper selection
(12-05-2021, 10:22 PM)bbxrider Wrote: so I tried 'selection to path' which partially fills the text with the green foreground color, and
after that there is still is no way to fully select the text to be able to fill it with color

"Selection to path" (don't you mean "Path to selection"?) alone doesn't fill anything. You need to bucket-fill the selection afterwards (Bucekt-full tool, with Fill whole selection checked.