Gimp-Forum.net
How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? (/Thread-How-do-I-combine-all-these-menu-functions-into-one)

How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - Culuf - 12-06-2016

Okay! Since I pretty much have it memorized when I open something in Gimp (2.8).
Let's see..

Colors-Brightness 10 Contrast 5
Colors-Hue Saturation-Hue 25
Filters-Enhance-Sharpen-Sharpness 50
Colors-Levels-Middle of Input Levels 1.15
Filters-Light and Shadow-Lighting effects-Light tab (type None)-Material tab-Material Properties-Glowing 1.15
Colors-Hue Saturation-Hue 28
Colors-Levels-Middle of Input Levels 0.70

When I use basic math to combine some of those (Hue Saturation or Input Levels), it doesn't come out as intended.
I have been doing the above with screenshots of games and game textures that make objects in games appear more detailed.
Though I've done it.. probably for over a year? The process takes too long. Say, for a huge folder with thousands of game textures!
I'm looking for a way to combine all of those functions into one use somehow :­D Like one or two clicks?

RE: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - rich2005 - 12-06-2016

Dare say one of the clever guys can set you on the path to writing a script or plugin.

Possible alternative for thousands of files to process, with the same parameters, is the batch plugin BIMP.

http://www.alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

Battery running out here on my netbook, so I will have to be short, but the attached file is the bimp script to set the filters.

Workflow might be
open BIMP
load the .bimp file
add the images
set the output folder
run

Might get you started, if you try it, remember to unzip the .bimp first. Try one or two files first to check the output. Individual settings can be adjusted.

RE: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - Ofnuts - 12-06-2016

First... Each time you use a general Color/level setting, you lose colors, so when I see:

Colors-Brightness 10 Contrast 5
Colors-Hue Saturation-Hue 25
Colors-Levels-Middle of Input Levels 1.15
Colors-Hue Saturation-Hue 28
Colors-Levels-Middle of Input Levels 0.70

I wonder how much color is left (See Color>Info>Colorcube analysis)(*). Also, sharpening is best done last, because it adds things to the picture that are best left as they are. Photographers who know their trade and expect to edit their photos reduce the sharpening produced by the camera...

So, before we talk about scripting, maybe we should discuss what you start with, what you want to achieve, and see if there is a better/shorter workflow?

The math doesn't work because Gimp works in a gamma-corrected space. This makes predicting outcomes quite tricky. Btw, the "gamma" is really what the middle handle of the Levels tool deals with.

(*) on a random photo of mine: 176310 colors before, 137178 after... 25% loss..

RE: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - Culuf - 12-07-2016

Thank you both for replying :­)
@Rich2005
It seems like we're on to something with Bimp, but maybe that particular script is missing some settings?
I'll start with a screenshot of Witcher 3 so it's more obvious than the Fallout 4 texture.
Beginning with the unedited one, then the one I used allsorts.bimp on, and then manually applying the settings I mentioned.
[Image: CTAG85y.png]
[Image: pNMKzO7.png]
Too green!
[Image: RAnIXIu.png]
(If you save that last one and change the color level Input levels middle to 1.3, that should reverse 0.7 It's how I usually post my screenshots ^_^)
For textures though! 0.7 is needed to set it close to it's original darkness.
For Fallout 4, here's a bay window texture. First is the original, then the allsorts.bimp, and then manually applying settings.
[Image: Zo9VTg4.png][Image: wD3bQLQ.png][Image: UFMVRZ4.png]

So I found brightness and contrast, hue saturation, and sharpness in Bimp. But I can't seem to figure out where the color levels and light and shadow settings would be!

[Image: 8jSwJ4A.jpg]
If I choose 1.25 on "Gamma correction factor" it turns the whole picture black :­(

[Image: xh56fFG.jpg]
I feel like if I could translate all the same settings this might work D:

@Ofnuts
My colorcube is reading way more colors though :­D Maybe because I'm working with .png files?
Before and after manually applying the settings.
[Image: oYchrZ9.jpg]
[Image: zd48V6R.png]

RE: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - rich2005 - 12-07-2016

OK, back on the netbook but with a charged up battery. Looks like our timezones are quite different, I am about ready to pack in for the day.

I did miss an operation out - the second one.
There is a bug with BIMP when it comes to the lighting effects. The colour value is not set correctly.

Load the revised script, but before running, reset the colour - edit procedure - click on color - set to white in the color dialog - ok -ok to back out. You need to do this whenever you load the script.

[attachment=176]

Now run BIMP - I checked on a simple pattern and manual applied filters = BIMP

However take note of ofnuts comments, there will be other ways of getting an equivalent result.

revised bimp script attached

@Rich2005 Yeah! It's looking better, but on the 2nd and 6th it should be 25 for Saturation modification instead of Hue offset.
That was my fault. I said Hue in the original options but it was Saturation.
I think this is why pictures are turning green :­o I don't know how to create a .bimp though.

RE: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - rich2005 - 12-07-2016

(12-07-2016, 08:07 PM)Culuf Wrote: @Rich2005 Yeah! It's looking better, but on the 2nd and 6th it should be 25 for Saturation modification instead of Hue offset.
That was my fault. I said Hue in the original options but it was Saturation.
I think this is why pictures are turning green :­o I don't know how to create a .bimp though.

Everything is a learning curve especially GIMP and its procedures.

[attachment=178]

To create a new BIMP procedure click on the ADD button and choose an option including load or save a set (.bimp file)

Note the other GIMP procedure. All your required procedures are Other GIMP procedures ...PITA

To edit an existing procedure, click on the button and choose edit.

Note, The values always start out as zero, so for levels as well as the center slider value (0.7) you need to set the right side slider values as well (255)

Run through each procedure in turn and check / adjust the values. You can run BIMP with these values without saving the script, but you might need the same later.

Thanks that worked wonderfully! One more question (sorry!)
I have a plugin for Gimp to use .DDS files but in Bimp it's not one of the supported types when I go to add images.
It comes up blank when looking for them in my textures folders.
Is there a way you know of to add .DDS as a supported type to Bimp?

RE: How do I combine all these menu functions into one? - rich2005 - 12-08-2016

(12-07-2016, 11:14 PM)Culuf Wrote: ...Is there a way you know of to add .DDS as a supported type to Bimp?

I cant help much there, not into games. I use linux but have the dds plugin, which opens that format. Had to hunt around for an example.

You are correct that BIMP does not actively open that file extension. There is already a request to include it
https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/issues/124

It will process a file open in Gimp so the only thing I can suggest is, open as many as available memory will support in one go. Turn the confirmation dialog turned off or you will ok-ing each image. Then use BIMP Add Images -> All open Images. Not as useful as adding a whole folder but still faster than process individual images.

Another factor, the processed and saved file(s) lose those mips thingies. 

[attachment=179]