Gimp-Forum.net
Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version (/Thread-Saves-Earlier-Version-of-JPG-Not-Current-Version)

Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - JCal - 04-27-2018

I've been having a persistent problem for an hour now -- I edited an image, yet when I save it, an earlier version of the image gets saved. It saves the correct version as an xcf file, as a png file but just refuses to save the correct version as a jpg. I tried changing the name, the location where I am saving, closing and reloading Gimp, closing and reopening the photo folder ... nothing works. I need to upload as a jpg, unfortunately.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance.

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - Blighty - 04-27-2018

Not a problem I have heard of before. I don't have any definite suggestions.

Some things to check:
Are you exporting to one location and opening from another?
Any errors? (OS permissions, etc).

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - Ofnuts - 04-27-2018

When the "earlier" JPG version is saved, if the file time stamp changed?

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - JCal - 04-27-2018

(04-27-2018, 01:47 PM)Blighty Wrote: Not a problem I have heard of before. I don't have any definite suggestions.

Some things to check:
Are you exporting to one location and opening from another?
Any errors? (OS permissions, etc).

What a clever user name for a Gimper!  Heart

No errors of any kind. All the other files have gone through fine, although I had a hint of this same issue yesterday, for the first time ever. 
I tried every permutation of exporting and opening I could think of. Nothing makes any difference Huh  ... I am preparing product images for a juried craft show. I may just end up not using this image; I have to whittle my selection down to five from seven anyway.

Thanks for your help: appreciated!

(04-27-2018, 02:46 PM)JCal Wrote: What a clever user name for a Gimper!  Heart

I must be missing something...

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - Blighty - 04-27-2018

(04-27-2018, 07:37 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 02:46 PM)JCal Wrote: What a clever user name for a Gimper!  Heart

I must be missing something...

Blighty was the name of my Grandfather's farm. But it already had that name when he bought it.
There is family oral history of the meaning of the word, this differs slightly from the meanings found on google.

(04-27-2018, 08:02 PM)Blighty Wrote: Blighty was the name of my Grandfather's farm. But it already had that name when he bought it.
There is family oral history of the meaning of the word, this differs slightly from the meanings found on google.

NSFW?

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - Blighty - 04-28-2018

(04-27-2018, 08:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 08:02 PM)Blighty Wrote: Blighty was the name of my Grandfather's farm. But it already had that name when he bought it.

NSFW?

No, not that at all.

The British army was in India. Blighty was a corruption of a word in one of the Indian languages meaning "home". But in the British army the usage changed to mean a wound serious enough to be sent back home to Britain. As in "You're going blighty".

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - Ofnuts - 04-28-2018

Ah, nice Smile

RE: Saves Earlier Version of JPG Not Current Version - JCal - 04-28-2018

(04-28-2018, 07:09 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Ah, nice Smile

I lived in England for years and am a WWII buff as well. A "blighty" was used among British troops as a term for a wound serious enough to send you home, out of the war. So: Gimpy/Blighty

(04-27-2018, 02:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: When the "earlier" JPG version is saved, if the file time stamp changed?

Yes, each time. It was the weirdest thing. Since I had to submit the show application yesterday, I managed a workaround. Rather than working from the xcf file, I opened the jpg itself and corrected that. And that version saved. 

If I have any other glitches along these lines, I will return to post to this thread. 

Otherwise, glad I had the problem so that I could find this community! I *always* have Gimp questions, and the Gimp site / help is often over my head.  Undecided

Thanks, all!