Gimp-Forum.net
Scissors select tool - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Scissors select tool (/Thread-Scissors-select-tool)

Scissors select tool - gimp-artist - 05-17-2018

[attachment=1731]
This attachment is from the gimp doc. I don't understand this shift modifier for scissors select tool.
The shift modifier is working as "+" what I know of. What should I know more?

RE: scissors select tool - Espermaschine - 05-17-2018

Not sure the Shift modifier is always working as '+'.

What i can tell you is that in over 6 years of using Gimp, i have almost never used the Magnetic Scissors Tool.
Most importantly: they dont work very well (this might have changed in V 2.10), because in most everyday situations, you dont have that good contrast between fore and background.
And if there is, you would most likely use a different method.

The classic and most universal way of removing the background is with the paths tool and a layermask, which you dont learn by reading the manual alone, but also by practicing.
Its one thing to understand tools and another to learn techniques.
Both things go and in hand.

A good example for what im talking about is this thread:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Path-Smooth-Transition-Between-Sections

The manual explains how the paths tool works, but the technique of drawing a path is quite complex.

RE: scissors select tool - Ofnuts - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 04:09 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: What i can tell you is that in over 6 years of using Gimp, i have almost never used the Magnetic Scissors Tool.
Most importantly: they dont work very well (this might have changed in V 2.10), because in most everyday situations, you dont have that good contrast between fore and background.

Something often overlooked is that you don't need to use the scissors on the image you want to cut. You can duplicate it, preprocess it to bring out the edges, use the scissors, and once you hav the selection, apply the selection to the initial image.

(05-17-2018, 04:09 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Its one thing to understand tools and another to learn techniques.
Both things go and in hand.

+1

RE: Scissors select tool - Ofnuts - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 02:20 PM)gimp-artist Wrote: This attachment is from the gimp doc. I don't understand this shift modifier for scissors select tool.
The shift modifier is working as "+" what I know of. What should I know more?

The behavior is different between the first click and the following ones, no?

RE: Scissors select tool - Espermaschine - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 06:01 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Something often overlooked is that you don't need to use the scissors on the image you want to cut. You can duplicate it, preprocess it to bring out the edges, use the scissors, and once you hav the selection, apply the selection to the initial image.

Thats actually a very good tip that applies to all sorts of background removal projects !

RE: Scissors select tool - rich2005 - 05-17-2018

The best advice is just before the note on using the shift key ( and I do not see how going into addition mode makes any difference)

Quote:..Unfortunately, there seem to be some problems with the edge-following logic for this tool, with the result that the selections it creates tend to be pretty crude in a lot of cases. A good way to clean them up is to switch to QuickMask mode, and use paint tools to paint in the problematic parts.

Not the best tool in the armoury Wink

RE: Scissors select tool - gimp-artist - 05-17-2018

I found out the difference. shift modifier works exactly what the doc says. Thanks for the nice tips. Never thought of the effects to use for generating high contrast so that I can make a exact selection for the Scissors selection.  This is amazing.

RE: Scissors select tool - Ofnuts - 05-18-2018

(05-17-2018, 10:38 PM)gimp-artist Wrote: Never thought of the effects to use for generating high contrast so that I can make a exact selection for the Scissors selection.

Which is why just reading the docs isn't enough Smile