Gimp-Forum.net
Layers, Channels, Transparency - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Layers, Channels, Transparency (/Thread-Layers-Channels-Transparency)

Pages: 1 2

Layers, Channels, Transparency - anon_private - 02-03-2017

I am having difficulty with gimp (version 2.8.10).

To what does the layers dialogue refer?

Regarding Channels dialogue, how do I use the Red, Green, and Blue channels?

What is the function of the eye?

I am having difficulty with transparency. After adding alpha, how do I select the colour in the image to achieve transparency?

Why is it called alpha?

Thank you

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - Ofnuts - 02-03-2017

Thinks of your image build by stacking sheets of glass on which you paint things. Each sheet is a layer.

The Layers dialogs shows you how they are stacked (so you can change the stack order). It also tells you which are visible (ie, actually in the stack) By clicking on an eye icon you can make a layer visible/invisble (ie, temporarily remove it from the stack).

The RGB channels are there mostly for display. You can also copy them to plain channels by dragging them down or enable/disable them, but this has little purpose. The main purpose of the channels dialog is to manage the channels you create (by saving selections, mostly).

The alpha-channel is a fourth image component (besides the R,G,B ones) that controls the opacity of the pixel. You don't choose a color to be transparent. A pixel is transparent because its alpha value is 0, whatever the R,G and B values. A pixel can also be partially transparent if its alpha is less than 1.

Transparency is edited implicitly or explicitly. When you use the eraser or use Edit>Clear, the alpha value is set to 0 (if you are using a soft brush fro the eraser, the alpha can have an intermediate value). If you want to edit the alpha channel explicitly, you use a layer mask. This is more or less a companion grayscale layer on which whatever you draw/paint is interpreted as the alpha channel of the "parent" layer.

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - anon_private - 02-03-2017

(02-03-2017, 03:45 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Thinks of your image build by stacking sheets of glass on which you paint things. Each sheet is a layer.

The Layers dialogs shows you how they are stacked (so you can change the stack order). It also tells you which are visible (ie, actually in the stack) By clicking on an eye icon you can make a layer visible/invisble (ie, temporarily remove it from the stack).

The RGB channels are there mostly for display. You can also copy them to plain channels by dragging them down or enable/disable them, but this has little purpose. The main purpose of the channels dialog is to manage the channels you create (by saving selections, mostly).

The alpha-channel is a fourth image component (besides the R,G,B ones) that controls the opacity of the pixel. You don't choose a color to be transparent. A pixel is transparent because its alpha value is 0, whatever the R,G and B values. A pixel can also be partially transparent if its alpha is less than 1.

Transparency is edited implicitly or explicitly. When you use the eraser or use Edit>Clear, the alpha value is set to 0 (if you are using a soft brush fro the eraser, the alpha can have an intermediate value). If you want to edit the alpha channel explicitly, you use a layer mask. This is more or less a companion grayscale layer on which whatever you draw/paint is interpreted as the alpha channel of the "parent" layer.

Thank you for responding. You say

'The alpha-channel is a fourth image component (besides the R,G,B ones) that controls the opacity of the pixel. You don't choose a color to be transparent. A pixel is transparent because its alpha value is 0, whatever the R,G and B values. A pixel can also be partially transparent if its alpha is less than 1.

If I cannot choose to make a colour transparent. How would I make the background transparent?

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - Ofnuts - 02-03-2017

(02-03-2017, 05:45 PM)anon_private Wrote: Thank you for responding. You say

Quote:'The alpha-channel is a fourth image component (besides the R,G,B ones) that controls the opacity of the pixel. You don't choose a color to be transparent. A pixel is transparent because its alpha value is 0, whatever the R,G and B values. A pixel can also be partially transparent if its alpha is less than 1.
If I cannot choose to make a colour transparent. How would I make the background transparent?

If you want to delete a specific color and replace it with transparency, two completely equivalent techniques:

1) Colors>Color to alpha and pick up the color of the background

or

2) Bucket-fill the image with the background color after setting the bucket-fill tool in "Color erase" mode

Both techniques require an alpha channel in the layer: Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel

Both techniques have a side effect, if there are parts of your subjects with colors close to the color of the background, they
will become (partially) transparent as well. So before applying the above techniques you can restrict their action to the background and also
to the very important anti-aliasing pixels:

- using the wand, select the background
- Select>Grow by two pixels so that the selection includes the border pixels
- Apply Color-to-alpha or Color-erase as above.

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - anon_private - 02-04-2017

(02-03-2017, 06:08 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 05:45 PM)anon_private Wrote: Thank you for responding. You say

Quote:'The alpha-channel is a fourth image component (besides the R,G,B ones) that controls the opacity of the pixel. You don't choose a color to be transparent. A pixel is transparent because its alpha value is 0, whatever the R,G and B values. A pixel can also be partially transparent if its alpha is less than 1.

If you want to delete a specific color and replace it with transparency, two completely equivalent techniques:

1) Colors>Color to alpha and pick up the color of the background

or

2) Bucket-fill the image with the background color after setting the bucket-fill tool in  "Color erase" mode

Both techniques require an alpha channel in the layer: Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel

Both techniques have a side effect, if there are parts of your subjects with colors close to the color of the background, they
will become (partially) transparent as well. So before applying the above techniques you can restrict their action to the background and also
to the very important anti-aliasing pixels:

- using the wand, select the background
- Select>Grow by two pixels so that the selection includes the border pixels
- Apply Color-to-alpha or Color-erase as above.

Thank you.

After making adjustments to an image can I view it as it would be seen on a webpage, or, must I upload it to a site to complete the test?

Best wishes

Ps. I am using gimp 2.8.10 under kubuntu (14.10). Would you advise installing version 2.8.20, or, is there little difference between the programmes? My pc is a Dell Dimension E520, 1GB RAM, Pentium D (2.7GHz).

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - rich2005 - 02-04-2017

It is certainly worth updating, very easy to do with (k)ubuntu. You need to add a ppa

see: https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

Still Gimp 2.8.18 I expect Gimp 2.8.20 will be there soon.

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - Ofnuts - 02-04-2017

(02-04-2017, 02:53 PM)anon_private Wrote: Thank you.

After making adjustments to an image can I view it as it would be seen on a webpage, or, must I upload it to a site to complete the test?

Best wishes

Ps. I am using gimp 2.8.10 under kubuntu (14.10). Would you advise installing version 2.8.20, or, is there little difference between the programmes? My pc is a Dell Dimension E520, 1GB RAM, Pentium D (2.7GHz).
If it doesn't look the same way in Gimp than on the web site, it it is usually that the web site has done something to it. Just load your local file in your browser (File>Open in Firefox, or drag to Firefox/Chrome). If it OK there on not on the web site then either:
  • The file has been reencoded by the website.  This is not uncommon for large websites (Facebook...) and of course usually the image takes a beating in the process. Just save the image again from the web page and compare to your original file.
  • The HTML that includes the image enforces a size that is slightly different from its native size making the browser rescale the image on the fly. This is confirmed either by inspecting the HTML source or by making the browser open the image all by itself, which should restore it to is original size and quality.
Always better to have a few less bugs.... See Rich's indications on how to include Otto's PPA in your software sources. This provides updates to Gimp but also to the rather useful gimp-registry filters. However, with 1GB your computer is on the small side, especially if you run KDE.

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - anon_private - 02-05-2017

(02-04-2017, 03:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is certainly worth updating, very easy to do with (k)ubuntu. You need to add a ppa

Thank you for responding.

I note from the ppa page that it is for ubuntu. I assume that kubuntu is also appropriate.

I note on the bottom of the ppa page:

'Adding this PPA to your system'

'You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp to your system's Software Sources.'

It does say 'untrusted'!

(02-04-2017, 06:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 02:53 PM)anon_private Wrote: Thank you.

Best wishes

If it doesn't look the same way in Gimp than on the web site, it it is usually that the web site has done something to it. Just load your local file in your browser (File>Open in Firefox, or drag to Firefox/Chrome). If it OK there on not on the web site then either:
  • The file has been reencoded by the website.  This is not uncommon for large websites (Facebook...) and of course usually the image takes a beating in the process. Just save the image again from the web page and compare to your original file.
  • The HTML that includes the image enforces a size that is slightly different from its native size making the browser rescale the image on the fly. This is confirmed either by inspecting the HTML source or by making the browser open the image all by itself, which should restore it to is original size and quality.
Always better to have a few less bugs.... See Rich's indications on how to include Otto's PPA in your software sources. This provides updates to Gimp but also to the rather useful gimp-registry filters. However, with 1GB your computer is on the small side, especially if you run KDE.
Thank you.

The image of interest now has a transparent background. It looks fine in gimp. When I opened this file in Firefox the background appeared as grey - not transparent!

A couple of other questions:

The tool box has a feature to create ellipses. I expected it to form circles when holding down the shift key, but this action had no effect!

Is there a feature that creates solid coloured objects such as: spheres, arrows, lines, hexagons, etc.

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - Ofnuts - 02-05-2017

(02-05-2017, 01:53 PM)anon_private Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 03:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is certainly worth updating, very easy to do with (k)ubuntu. You need to add a ppa

Thank you for responding.

I note from the ppa page that it is for ubuntu. I assume that kubuntu is also appropriate.

I note on the bottom of the ppa page:

'Adding this PPA to your system'

'You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp to your system's Software Sources.'

It does say 'untrusted'!

Well, this is how I have been keeping my Gimp up-to-date for several years now (using Kubuntu myself)...

RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - rich2005 - 02-05-2017

For the ubuntu ppa: I use Kubuntu 16.04, I would not give the ppa info if it was not ok.

Quote:Is there a feature that creates solid coloured objects such as: spheres, arrows, lines, hexagons, etc.

When it comes to creating shapes there is both a very old and depending what you want, not very good built in filter gfig
Advantage, it is built in.
see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-gfig.html and as an example http://i.imgur.com/qIWJz5i.jpg

Then there are scripts such as the old shape-path script. http://registry.gimp.org/node/59

Put that in your gimp profile  ~./gimp-2.8/scripts (~ is linux shorthand for your home folder/partition) Snags it does need user input, advantage it will fill the shape for you. Looks like http://i.imgur.com/Vw6uzOB.jpg

Then more complicated plugins such as ofnuts ofn-path-to-shape.py 
Look near the top of http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-path-tools/files/scripts/   comes with plenty of documentation on use.

It is more hands on, use a path to create a path, then up to you to fill/stroke whatever you need. Very simple example: http://i.imgur.com/8NEq8As.jpg

...and there are others...