Gimp-Forum.net
New Gimper question on texture as object - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: New Gimper question on texture as object (/Thread-New-Gimper-question-on-texture-as-object)

Pages: 1 2

New Gimper question on texture as object - StylinLP38 - 09-20-2018

I found a great dirt road jpeg texture on google and want to use it for the dirt roads going through the small village. I see I can use it as a texture to fill a layer. But I rather use it piece meal to fill in a road. How best to do this?
Right now I have it saved in my GIMP2/Texture folder

Here is a screenshots of all the layers I got ready. My Grass layer I already added a Layer Mask. I will be adding masks to all the layers to build up my farming town with farm fields. There is no stream or river on this map.

As you can see the layer I have showing now is that road texture. Im not sure what to do with it from here. But I guess I need to shrink it down quite a lot to be road width sized. Do I make a stamp? or do I make a solid fill layer? but the road lines would not be going in the right direction.

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - Blighty - 09-20-2018

Method 1
If you bucket fill with a pattern, it will fill a) the active layer and b) only within an active selection.

1) Make a selection of the road.
2) Create a new transparent layer above the road
3) Bucket fill this new layer - only the part within the selection gets filled.

Method 2 (recommended)
1) Create a new layer above the road. Completely fill this layer with road texture.
2) Create a layer mask for this layer. Fill with black. (Road texture layer becomes transparent)
3) Create a selection off the road.
4) On the layer mask, fill this selection with white. (Road texture becomes visible where the white is)
The advantage of this method is that you can edit the layer mask afterwards to adjust the road.
Black=transparent; white=opaque; grey=semi transparent

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - StylinLP38 - 09-20-2018

I see what your saying, I can make those layers. But if I take that Road Texture and fill the entire layer with it. Then will not the details be too big and only in one direction?

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - StylinLP38 - 09-21-2018

Well, I did as you suggested but it does not look right. The textures of that wet dirt mud looks too big for the road. Any idea's?
I dont understand why I can't just turn this texture into a brush and paint my roads with it....
Google search "How to turn texture into paint brush"

[attachment=2130]Well, I found a website how how to make a brush. It told me to select with a select tool then COPY. Sure enough. Now I have a new Brush with the texture. But I cant paint with it. No matter which layer I try to paint on nothing happens.

How to Make Your Own Brush in GIMP
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Brush-in-GIMP

I attempted to use the procedures from this website but made a huge mess so I exited the app without saving. I think I am wasting my time. Nothing I do is working. I best just use a plain texture with no lines in it.

Custom Brushes Tutorial
https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - Blighty - 09-21-2018

(09-21-2018, 03:09 AM)StylinLP38 Wrote: Nothing I do is working. I best just use a plain texture with no lines in it.

If you have made your brush correctly and it is not working then there is something very simple that is not right. Some things to check:
The layer that you are painting on is visible.
The brush is working, but the brush size is so small that you can't see it.
etc
Keep checking things until you find the problem.

Note: Don't paint directly on your image layer. Create a transparent layer above your image layer and paint your roads on that. This makes editing your roads much easier.

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - StylinLP38 - 09-22-2018

Blighty, thank you for the suggestion but I gave up on trying to use that tool to make dirt roads. Its just way too difficult to figure out. So I deleted that layer and creaated a new one of just a uniform dirt texture. Then added a transparent layer and painted with Black color to erase any of that texture that was not on the roads. Then I used the Brush tool to draw in random tracks down the road to simulate cart wheel tracks and foot traffic.

Holy crap! What is those textures/brushes/textures what ever they are on the left side of this youtube video I am watching???? Its a video on how to create a dungeon quickly

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - Blighty - 09-22-2018

(09-22-2018, 04:46 PM)StylinLP38 Wrote: What is those textures/brushes/textures what ever they are on the left side of this youtube video I am watching???? Its a video on how to create a dungeon quickly
Top Left corner is Ps = Photoshop. I have never used Ps, so this is best guess.

Those things on the left hand side look like brushes. Gimp also has brushes. There are several options for brushes in Gimp
1) use the built in ones that come with Gimp
2) download and install brushes - there are thousands on the internet
3) make your own brushes

Very versatile once you learn how to use brushes and the Brush Dynamics that Gimp uses.

Many (but not all) Ps brushes can be used in Gimp. They have a .abr extension.

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - StylinLP38 - 09-22-2018

oh ok, .abr
Im learning that as I downloaded Dunnjinni brushes and textures (1.5 gb) worth to my computer. Right now, I just want to finish this village then recreate it again in Dungeon Painter from STEAM and coompare my experience and results. Then consider which product to try next or stick with.

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - StylinLP38 - 09-25-2018

Ok, I create a layer for every texture with transparency and got these down so far. Im not sure if I should add more sketching to add "Fences" and land type marks, other details. I guess at this level of detail I should not add firewood, out houses, chopping blocks...

I think I did the hill contouring wrong. Those contours are on a separate layer. They are just painted in. I didn't use Dodge or Smear or Burn features. Maybe I should use those tools on the Texture layer I want the contour effect? Then delete those contours I drew?

Any other advice what to do next?

Help, I need fences. Ive been searching google for 2 days and cannot find any wood and stone farm fences to put on this map. I want to section off the farm fields. Can someone link some?

RE: New Gimper question on texture as object - rich2005 - 09-25-2018

Not too sure what your contours are. The brown lines perhaps?

For shape and contour, you need to introduce some lighting and shadow. If you look at the houses, one half of the roof is in shadow, giving some shape and depth. All over the place on your plan. Choose a direction.

However, without spending too much time, maybe something like this, make a selection and paint in a shadow with the edge of a very large fuzzy brush.

[Image: pd5LnEZ.jpg]

Another way which is more than applicable is dithering (look it up). Small dots used to create a sense of shape. Close together for dark areas, spaced apart for lighter.

[Image: cqnUJvo.jpg]

Fences and walls, You could use mapping type symbols perhaps. A fence could be a dash and an cross. Make your own brush.