Gimp-Forum.net
Brand new, beginner layers question - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Brand new, beginner layers question (/Thread-Brand-new-beginner-layers-question)

Brand new, beginner layers question - ag5t - 08-08-2019

I am almost brand new to Gimp. I downloaded it at home because I retired and no longer have access to photoshop. I am trying to learn it but I am stuck on layers. I started a file and put two graphics on it, but now I can't work with them independently. To be perfectly honest when i used Photoshop I did not use layers and just kept merging everything. I tried to learn layers but I just could not figure it out. So now I'm stuck on Gimp and I guess I will have to learn layers. --- When I try to put a rectangle around one of my graphics and move it, the whole entire pasteboard moves and I cannot move graphics by themself. Is there a way to not have to use layers? Or is it better that I learn how to do it? -- Also I am bit overwhelmed by all the selections and options. My project is to make a 5.5 inch by 3.5 inch "card" with photos and graphics on it. Thanks. Marty

RE: Brand new, beginner layers question - Blighty - 08-08-2019

It is best that you learn to use layers.

Put each graphic on its own layer, probably with a transparent background. The Move Tool will move the entire layer, not just the graphic. So if you have 10 graphics and photos you probably need 10 layers.

Gimp (and other graphics apps) have a steep learning curve. So keep trying and come back and ask when you get stuck.

RE: Brand new, beginner layers question - Ofnuts - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 07:46 PM)ag5t Wrote: I am almost brand new to Gimp. I downloaded it at home because I retired and no longer have access to photoshop. I am trying to learn it but I am stuck on layers. I started a file and put two graphics on it, but now I can't work with them independently. To be perfectly honest when i used Photoshop I did not use layers and just kept merging everything. I tried to learn layers but I just could not figure it out. So now I'm stuck on Gimp and I guess I will have to learn layers. --- When I try to put a rectangle around one of my graphics and move it, the whole entire pasteboard moves and I cannot move graphics by themself. Is there a way to not have to use layers? Or is it better that I learn how to do it? -- Also I am bit overwhelmed by all the selections and options. My project is to make a 5.5 inch by 3.5 inch "card" with photos and graphics on it. Thanks. Marty

See layers as sheets of tracing paper, and you image as a stack of such sheets. They can overlap each other, you can move them around, you can change their order in the stack, and take one out and replace it with another without changing anything else. So this:

[attachment=3069]

is not done like this:

[attachment=3070]

but better like this:

[attachment=3071]

or even possibly like this when it makes sense:

[attachment=3072]

Thinking in layers is 50% of the skills. The rest is just know-how.

RE: Brand new, beginner layers question - LaurenceClarkson - 08-13-2019

(08-08-2019, 07:46 PM)ag5t Wrote: I am almost brand new to Gimp. I downloaded it at home because I retired and no longer have access to photoshop. I am trying to learn it but I am stuck on layers. I started a file and put two graphics on it, but now I can't work with them independently. To be perfectly honest when i used Photoshop I did not use layers and just kept merging everything. I tried to learn layers but I just could not figure it out. So now I'm stuck on Gimp and I guess I will have to learn layers. --- When I try to put a rectangle around one of my graphics and move it, the whole entire pasteboard moves and I cannot move graphics by themself. Is there a way to not have to use layers? Or is it better that I learn how to do it? -- Also I am bit overwhelmed by all the selections and options. My project is to make a 5.5 inch by 3.5 inch "card" with photos and graphics on it. Thanks. Marty

..when the move tool is selected make sure the "Move the active layer" buttonĀ  is checked, this will enable you to move
the layer you want...