Gimp-Forum.net
The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: Other topics (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Other-topics)
+--- Forum: Watercooler (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Watercooler)
+--- Thread: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 (/Thread-The-Golden-Wilbur-Award-2020)

The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - mahvin - 05-05-2020

My way of saying "THANK YOU!" for your numerous contributions to GIMP Paths!

[attachment=4320]

RE: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - Ofnuts - 05-05-2020

Had to look at the plate to see who won it. Thanks. My mantelpiece is getting quite busy now Smile

RE: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - Krikor - 05-05-2020

[Image: 1cf560a3b8273325d6099799301c9f6f.gif]

RE: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - mahvin - 05-05-2020

(05-05-2020, 08:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Had to look at the plate to see who won it. Thanks. My mantelpiece is getting quite busy now Smile

I had originally typed this long winded "Oscar worthy" introduction to this award, but a glitch totally bleeped out my scrawling (fat finger syndrome, most likely).

Anyway, you, Ofnuts, I have followed with great interest because of your love of creating path scripts in Python, and my love of "ALL THINGS PATHS, in GIMP". Every new computer I get, every upload of GIMP requires a visit to your site, where I re-download the Python scripts and drop them into GIMP. Now, don't be fooled by how easy this all sounds, because there are scripts where I sit back and go WTF! How do you use this thing? My new found virtue of patience gives me pause and I wait, read, and re-read posts by other users who, like me, don't have a frigging clue how to make the script work without errors. When that light comes on, ding ding, wowza! It's like you're the savior of the GIMP world and we all behave like God worshipping meerkats out of the ICE AGE movies. You ARE appreciated. And I am undoubtedly confident if people who used your scripts could provide you with oodles of royalties, you'd be living like a King. It's just that little bell that gets rung on the counter, that brings us all back to real life. Appreciated? Not a doubt! Many thanks!

RE: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - akovia - 05-06-2020

(05-05-2020, 11:20 PM)mahvin Wrote: I had originally typed this long winded "Oscar worthy" introduction to this award, but a glitch totally bleeped out my scrawling (fat finger syndrome, most likely).

Anyway, you, Ofnuts, I have followed with great interest because of your love of creating path scripts in Python, and my love of "ALL THINGS PATHS, in GIMP". Every new computer I get, every upload of GIMP requires a visit to your site, where I re-download the Python scripts and drop them into GIMP. Now, don't be fooled by how easy this all sounds, because there are scripts where I sit back and go WTF! How do you use this thing? My new found virtue of patience gives me pause and I wait, read, and re-read posts by other users who, like me, don't have a frigging clue how to make the script work without errors. When that light comes on, ding ding, wowza! It's like you're the savior of the GIMP world and we all behave like God worshipping meerkats out of the ICE AGE movies. You ARE appreciated. And I am undoubtedly confident if people who used your scripts could provide you with oodles of royalties, you'd be living like a King. It's just that little bell that gets rung on the counter, that brings us all back to real life. Appreciated? Not a doubt! Many thanks!

Couldn't agree more.

Might have abandoned anything but simple path tasks in gimp years ago if not for these scripts. Paths in gimp hasn't gotten much needed love in years. I think it's too easy to fall back on "use inkscape" when it's anything but a serious bug. There are still a ton of quirky things when using paths in gimp, but you can get most things done if you try hard enough. (and have these scripts)

There was a glimmer of hope in the recent article with one of the lead programmers.
Quote:"On a more ambitious level, it'd be interesting to venture into new territory: more powerful vector tools, maybe even 3D and animation."

One thing I found handy was the epub manual that @carmen created to consolidate all the manuals into one chapterized document. It's already out of date since Ofnuts updates and adds scripts frequently, but some of the content is purely reference and instructional that won't get outdated.

Thanks as always Ofnuts!

RE: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - Ofnuts - 05-06-2020

(05-05-2020, 11:31 AM)Krikor Wrote: [Image: 1cf560a3b8273325d6099799301c9f6f.gif]

** bows to the audience **

RE: The Golden Wilbur Award 2020 - Ofnuts - 05-06-2020

(05-05-2020, 11:20 PM)mahvin Wrote: Now, don't be fooled by how easy this all sounds, because there are scripts where I sit back and go WTF! How do you use this thing? My new found virtue of patience gives me pause and I wait, read, and re-read posts by other users who, like me, don't have a frigging clue how to make the script work without errors.

Due ot my Linux "heritage" I do not write the script to perform a user-level task, but to be used in a workflow (so that they can be used for many purposes, including some I didn't even think about when writing the script). So yes,  I leave to the user to find it how the script can be use for his/her own purposes.

Quote:And I am undoubtedly confident if people who used your scripts could provide you with oodles of royalties, you'd be living like a King

100K downloads since February 2012, maybe more due to other download sites or sharing, but maybe less (repeat downloads, version updates, unsatisfied people). Far from the million users... Path stuff is rather technical, my non-path scripts (top) are more popular than my path ones (bottom), and their popularity is on a regular rise:

[attachment=4326]