Gimp-Forum.net
Freezes during scaling - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: Installation and usage (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Installation-and-usage)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Windows)
+---- Thread: Freezes during scaling (/Thread-Freezes-during-scaling)

Freezes during scaling - Flwriter85 - 11-10-2020

I am aware that this has been mentioned in various ways earlier throughout the forum; however, they are just old enough and I'm not completely sure if they are the same issue that I am having.  

As the subject says my version of gimp seems to ALWAYS freeze while I try to scale my drawing(s).  I thought I found a work around and scale it slowly, but it doesn't help.  At least not for a long substantial time.  

My computer is brand new (relatively speaking.  I bought it back around Feb/March).  It's a gaming computer.  

According to my info.  (Not completely sure what is important). 

16 gb of ram (15.8 useableseale) 

64 bit os 

Windows C drive has 743 GB free of 929 GB 

My CPU usage at this point as I type this:  

I have five apps open (browser with three tabs; GIMP; task manager, system info box; file tab).  
CPU is at 3% usage (changing of course) 
37% memory. 

All in I should have more than enough power to run/keep running the program.  

Using 2.10.22 (the previous version before updating was doing the same thing.  I thought perhaps updating would help).  

I cleaned out my hardrive / junk/ etc.  

I am at a lost of what else to do.  

Thank you advance for any assistance, and as per assistance please keep it noob-level.  I know enough about computers to break them... not fix them after they're broken.  

Big Grin

RE: Freezes during scaling - Ofnuts - 11-10-2020

• When you scale, do you see any CPU going steady at 100% (ProcessMonitor, Performance tab)?
  • How big is the image in pixels? 
  • How many layers?
  • How much memory does it need (status bar at the bottom of the image window)?
  • How much tile cache size is defined in Preferences>System resources (should be at least 8GB given your RAM)?
  • Is OpenCL enabled (Preferences>System Resources>Hardware Acceleration)?
  • Did you test your hardware?

RE: Freezes during scaling - Kevin - 11-11-2020

I'll add one more question:
  • Are you scaling up or down? i.e. are you trying to make your drawing bigger (more pixels) or smaller (less pixels)?

RE: Freezes during scaling - FireTiger86 - 02-21-2021

Hello,

I have the same problem, and it started only recently. I've been using GIMP for years and this has never happened before. Now it seems to happen nearly all the time when scaling images, and I don't think it really makes any difference how big the image is or what the scaling factor is. It's not a hardware or memory issue, as far as I'm aware, and I noticed that some other tasks appear to be slower than they used to, though that might be unrelated. Exporting as .png, for example.
  • When you scale, do you see any CPU going steady at 100% (ProcessMonitor, Performance tab)?
No.
  • How big is the image in pixels?
Doesn't seem to matter, though most of the time something between 1 and 4 Megapixels, I think.
  • How many layers?
Happens with few or even one layer as well as with many.
  • How much memory does it need (status bar at the bottom of the image window)?
Don't know exactly, but it happens with all kinds of images, as I said.
  • How much tile cache size is defined in Preferences>System resources (should be at least 8GB given your RAM)?
8GB (I also have 16 GB RAM)
I can't find this option in my version.
  • Did you test your hardware?
You mean for errors? Sure, as far as I know it works.
  • Are you scaling up or down? i.e. are you trying to make your drawing bigger (more pixels) or smaller (less pixels)?
Usually down.

RE: Freezes during scaling - Ofnuts - 02-21-2021

(02-21-2021, 07:17 PM)FireTiger86 Wrote:
I can't find this option in my version.
[attachment=5664]
If it's not there, what version are you running exactly? Where does it come from?

RE: Freezes during scaling - rich2005 - 02-21-2021

It got moved to the Playground section. You need to run Gimp with the --show-playground switch for that to show.

[attachment=5665]

RE: Freezes during scaling - Ofnuts - 02-21-2021

Duh... Time to compile a 2.10.23...

RE: Freezes during scaling - FireTiger86 - 02-23-2021

(02-21-2021, 08:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It got moved to the Playground section. You need to run Gimp with the --show-playground switch for that to show.

Alright, that explains it. Yes, it's the 2.10.22, directly from the official download page.

RE: Freezes during scaling - gmoritz - 03-18-2021

Yup.  Crashes so reliably I have to make sure I've saved everything up to the point of scaling before scaling.

gimp needs to be dumbed-down to microsoft level so that it automatically saves stuff every minute or so.