Gimp-Forum.net
Merge / Blend - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Merge / Blend (/Thread-Merge-Blend)

Pages: 1 2

Merge / Blend - Bobins - 01-15-2021

Hello folks

I'm new to editing and heavily dependant on yotube and the net in general for help. I have a logo design that I would like to tweak slightly but not sure how to go about it. Across the EA and I in the logo, there is a "Hard Line" and the rest of the image has a gradient fill. I would like to get rid of the hard line and have the image all matching.

Any ideas what procedure I shoudl look up tips please?

Here is a direct link to the image on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/enemyai/photos/a.106450191318197/125311342765415/

RE: Merge / Blend - rich2005 - 01-15-2021

Was this originally a vector (.svg or .ai) image ? Sometimes vector effects such as gradients are difficult to render correctly.

You could totally re-build that image, no guarantee to be exactly the same. Since facebook will re-render it anyway, I suggest a quick repair and fake it in.

Use the smudge tool carefully and to give a little protection against over-enthusiasm select then invert the background, use fuzzy or color select.

The smudge tool needs a flow = 0 and use a fuzzy brush. Goes like this https://i.imgur.com/L8Irsld.mp4

Export as a png image

RE: Merge / Blend - eepjr24 - 01-15-2021

(01-15-2021, 12:13 AM)Bobins Wrote: Any ideas what procedure I shoudl look up tips please?

Okay, first to confirm what you want. Just changing from a hard color switch to a gradient, like this (all I did was the red, click in to see the image):

[attachment=5482]

If that is something like what you want (colors of gradient can be whatever you want), all I did was:

1. Use the Fuzzy select tool, threshold to about 10. Shift-click the various shades in one of the letters until all of it is selected.
2. Set your foreground and background colors to the lightest and darkest shade of red (or other colors) you want in the gradient.
3. Use the Gradient Fill tool with the gradient set to FG to BG (RGB). Click at the bottom of the letter inside the selection and drag toward the top until the gradient looks like you want it to.
4. Repeat with other letters.

- E

RE: Merge / Blend - Bobins - 01-15-2021

I dont mind if its a 1 tone colour or gradient. If the gradient is beyond what I cna manage, I'll do the single colour.

The problem is eliminating the line. I'm not sure how to attach images here in the forum sorry. In your image, you have done it, but A in the middle has the line I'm trying to eliminate.

EDIT:

Quote:If that is something like what you want (colors of gradient can be whatever you want), all I did was:

1. Use the Fuzzy select tool, threshold to about 10. Shift-click the various shades in one of the letters until all of it is selected.
2. Set your foreground and background colors to the lightest and darkest shade of red (or other colors) you want in the gradient.
3. Use the Gradient Fill tool with the gradient set to FG to BG (RGB). Click at the bottom of the letter inside the selection and drag toward the top until the gradient looks like you want it to.
4. Repeat with other letters.

- E

These instructions were clear and simple to follow. Thank you very much for your help. Still nto sure how you attach images here on the forum trhough heh.

(01-15-2021, 01:42 PM)Bobins Wrote: I dont mind if its a 1 tone colour or gradient. If the gradient is beyond what I cna manage, I'll do the single colour.

The problem is eliminating the line. I'm not sure how to attach images here in the forum sorry. In your image, you have done it, but A in the middle has the line I'm trying to eliminate.

If you follow the steps above, it will eliminate the "line". It's not really a line per se, it's just a non-gradient shade change. All I did was refill the entire letter with a gradient.

The way Rich outlined will do it as well, I just have had better luck with redoing the gradient than trying to fix small portions, which is probably just a matter of practice with the smudge tool.

- E

Your advice was spot, thank you.

(01-15-2021, 01:42 PM)Bobins Wrote: These instructions were clear and simple to follow. Thank you very much for your help. Still nto sure how you attach images here on the forum trhough heh.

On the very bottom of the web page there is a section called "Attachments" in a blue bar. In there you click Choose File, pick the file you want and then Add Attachments. From there you can insert the image inline as well if you desire.

- E

(01-15-2021, 02:50 PM)eepjr24 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 01:42 PM)Bobins Wrote: These instructions were clear and simple to follow. Thank you very much for your help. Still nto sure how you attach images here on the forum trhough heh.

On the very bottom of the web page there is a section called "Attachments" in a blue bar. In there you click Choose File, pick the file you want and then Add Attachments. From there you can insert the image inline as well if you desire.

- E

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated. I've finally made some progress and the last part on this image is making it round. If you look at the other red Fangs, whall we call them, they are roiund but the onme with the yellow arrow pointing at it, is flat on top. Any advice on Rounding it off a bit?? I saved it as PNG for online purposes.

Thanks again

RE: Merge / Blend - eepjr24 - 01-16-2021

(01-15-2021, 07:48 PM)Bobins Wrote: Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated. I've finally made some progress and the last part on this image is making it round. If you look at the other red Fangs, whall we call them, they are roiund but the onme with the yellow arrow pointing at it, is flat on top. Any advice on Rounding it off a bit?? I saved it as PNG for online purposes.

Thanks again

So... yes, I have a way to do it, but I am sure there is a better way.  Hopefully someone else will chime in with the better way. 

Using the Ellipses selection tool to create a circle the size of the one in your image. Position it over the image so that it fits evenly around the outside of the logo. Switch to the Rectangle select tool, hold down the CTRL key and create a rectangle selection that includes all of the circle except the section you want to color. This will subtract that portion from the circle, leaving a small selection of the appropriate shape to color.

- E

RE: Merge / Blend - Bobins - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021, 02:23 AM)eepjr24 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 07:48 PM)Bobins Wrote: Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated. I've finally made some progress and the last part on this image is making it round. If you look at the other red Fangs, whall we call them, they are roiund but the onme with the yellow arrow pointing at it, is flat on top. Any advice on Rounding it off a bit?? I saved it as PNG for online purposes.

Thanks again

So... yes, I have a way to do it, but I am sure there is a better way.  Hopefully someone else will chime in with the better way. 

Using the Ellipses selection tool to create a circle the size of the one in your image. Position it over the image so that it fits evenly around the outside of the logo. Switch to the Rectangle select tool, hold down the CTRL key and create a rectangle selection that includes all of the circle except the section you want to color. This will subtract that portion from the circle, leaving a small selection of the appropriate shape to color.

- E

Thanks again E.

I have attached a copy of what I done. Although you know its there, can you tell me if its obvious. I am at the limit of my GIMP skills, and cannot improve it beyond this. As this is a logo, I'd like it to be bob on. I'm nearly 50 some my peepers are not what they used ot be.