Gimp-Forum.net
Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations (/Thread-Specifying-varied-frame-delays-GIF-animations)

Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations - rickk - 02-22-2021

When saving a file as a GIF animation, we are presented with an option to assign a  uniform time delay between frames "where unspecified".

Never really thought about it much, but the other day I was using a video editor to convert an MP4 to a GIF format, and then used gimp to clean up some color issues, and I noticed that the video editor had specified varying time delays between frames.

Is there a proper entry point in Gimp where we can specify  unique time delays specific to a particular frame  when creating GIF animations?

I've looked around a bit, and the only possibility I've found  would be to specify the interval in the  Layer Name, accessed through the  "Edit Layer Attributes" dialog (see red arrow in the linked image)

https://i.imgur.com/VUZ4r94.png

But, that just "feels" oddly non-intuitive, so I was wondering if I'm just missing something more obvious?

The ultimate use I have in mind would be for a looping animation where I want the final frame to persist for a few seconds before resuming the loop.  Of course I realize I could just copy the final frame 30 times and tack it on the end, but I'm hoping there is a more elegant solution that doesn't bloat the file size. 

I've been through the online manual, and if it's in there, I haven't been unable to find it.

TIA

RE: Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations - Ofnuts - 02-22-2021

(02-22-2021, 07:20 PM)rickk Wrote: When saving a file as a GIF animation, we are presented with an option to assign a  uniform time delay between frames "where unspecified".

Never really thought about it much, but the other day I was using a video editor to convert an MP4 to a GIF format, and then used gimp to clean up some color issues, and I noticed that the video editor had specified varying time delays between frames.

Is there a proper entry point in Gimp where we can specify  unique time delays specific to a particular frame  when creating GIF animations?

I've looked around a bit, and the only possibility I've found  would be to specify the interval in the  Layer Name, accessed through the  "Edit Layer Attributes" dialog (see red arrow in the linked image)

https://i.imgur.com/VUZ4r94.png

But, that just "feels" oddly non-intuitive, so I was wondering if I'm just missing something more obvious?

The ultimate use I have in mind would be for a looping animation where I want the final frame to persist for a few seconds before resuming the loop.  Of course I realize I could just copy the final frame 30 times and tack it on the end, but I'm hoping there is a more elegant solution that doesn't bloat the file size. 

I've been through the online manual, and if it's in there, I haven't been unable to find it.

TIA

With the Filters>Animation>Optimize For GIF, repeating the same frame several times shouldn't be too costly, because the "difference frame"  is going to be al transparent and this can be encoded very efficiently.

RE: Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations - rickk - 02-22-2021

Thanks for your reply. So then I guess it's fair to say that there is no "entry box" as part of the gimp UI where individual frame delays can be entered? I can deal with that, I was mostly concerned that there must be one, and that I was just overlooking it. So your clarification is comforting, at least to that end.

specifying Frame nn (X000ms) for the layer name seems to work well to provide x seconds of pause, as well......I just don't know how they expect people to know this.

Today was also the first time ever I saw the Gimp message "Time delay inserted to prevent evil CPU-sucking animation"....when trying to export a gif animation that lacked a specified delay. So I guess that I just hoped that since the application can detect, and automatically correct such a problem, that there would be a provision in the UI permitting it to be done manually, as well.

Thanks again.

RE: Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations - rickk - 02-23-2021

(02-22-2021, 11:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: With the Filters>Animation>Optimize For GIF, repeating the same frame several times shouldn't be too costly, because the "difference frame"  is going to be al transparent and this can be encoded very efficiently.

BTW,  Thankyou for sharing that. On an entirely separate matter I had been wondering how others generate those frames that are substantially transparent, except for relevant changes.....now I understand ....  It's often fascinating how the path of discovery is seldom a straight line.  Wink

RE: Specifying varied frame delays, GIF animations - CBEdits - 10-06-2021

You can specify individual frame delays by commenting it in the frame name field.
Here is the syntax:

0001.png (100ms)

For example, in the attatched image, my animation will play normally,
but wait at the last frame for awhile before playing again