Gimp-Forum.net
Animation - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Animation (/Thread-Animation--5666)

Pages: 1 2 3

Animation - Burnhard - 06-01-2021

Hi, my first post on the forum and I'm really new to Gimp, so bare with me please.
I want to make an animated Gif, I have the basic concept and managed to animate and export, but it took so long and I never compleated the project, my problem is, I'm trying to animate two wheels, so I use the elipse tool to select, then shift and R to rotate the first wheel and that works fine, but, when I select the next wheel it selects fine, but won't rotate and the first wheel disapears, I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this, but I've got to the point where I'm fed up of trying different ways and forgot how I managed to do my first little animation, tied myself up in knots, I think, could any kind person give me a little advice?

RE: Animation - rickk - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 04:03 PM)Burnhard Wrote: use the elipse tool to select, then shift and R to rotate the first wheel and that works fine, but, when I select the next wheel it selects fine, but won't rotate and  the first wheel disapears, 

Sounds to me like you've got a floating selection (transformation).

Look over on the right hand side of the application window and there should be a "layers dialog", with the image name you are working on, and   another layer named "floating selection" above it. Try right clicking on the floating selection, and selecting "Anchor Layer" from the menu that pops.

RE: Animation - Burnhard - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 05:14 PM)rickk Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 04:03 PM)Burnhard Wrote: use the elipse tool to select, then shift and R to rotate the first wheel and that works fine, but, when I select the next wheel it selects fine, but won't rotate and  the first wheel disapears, 

Sounds to me like you've got a floating selection (transformation).

Look over on the right hand side of the application window and there should be a "layers dialog", with the image name you are working on, and   another layer named "floating selection" above it. Try right clicking on the floating selection, and selecting "Anchor Layer" from the menu that pops.

I think that did the trick, only had time to test it quickly, I have to do this 32 times to make the animation, one other question If you don't mind, is there anyway that I can save my elipse setting as a preset? that would save me resizing it 32 times,  thanks a lot for your help rick, you saved my head from a real nasty ache. Big Grin  thanks a lot mate.

RE: Animation - Ofnuts - 06-01-2021

There are scripts to generate N rotations of an object, see for instance my own ofn-rotate-layer script.

[attachment=6105]

RE: Animation - Burnhard - 06-02-2021

(06-01-2021, 07:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: There are scripts to generate N rotations of an object, see for instance my own ofn-rotate-layer script.

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid that's way too advanced for me, I've only just started using Gimp. I'm familiar with what scripts do in other softwear I use, but don't have a clue how to install or implement them in Gimp, looks like I have a long road of learning in front of me. Wink

RE: Animation - Ofnuts - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 07:40 AM)Burnhard Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 07:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: There are scripts to generate N rotations of an object, see for instance my own ofn-rotate-layer script.

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid that's way too advanced for me, I've only just started using Gimp. I'm familiar with what scripts do in other softwear I use, but don't have a clue how to install or implement them in Gimp, looks like I have a long road of learning in front of me. Wink

The page linked has instructions for installation. Some scripts can save you hours (the disk above took me about a minute) or do things better that you could do manually so learning how to install them is a very useful skill.

RE: Animation - Burnhard - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 07:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 07:40 AM)Burnhard Wrote:

The page linked has instructions for installation. Some scripts can save you hours (the disk above took me about a minute)  or do things better that you could do manually so learning how to install them is a very useful skill.
Ok Ofnuts, I've downloaded the script and saved it and the install info, I'll try this out when I got home, thanks mate, really kind of you guys for helping a newbee out. Cool

RE: Animation - Burnhard - 06-03-2021

(06-02-2021, 07:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The page linked has instructions for installation. Some scripts can save you hours (the disk above took me about a minute)  or do things better that you could do manually so learning how to install them is a very useful skill.

I followed the installation instruction to the letter, but the script is not showing up in layers/transfom or any other menu Ofnuts, I've tried both plugin folders,
I did notice that there was a "query new plugins" pop up while loading Gimp so it seems it's seeing the script, obviously I don't know enough about Gimp to go trouble shooting and I don't want to mess things up, do you have any idea where I'm going wrong?

RE: Animation - Krikor - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 01:21 PM)Burnhard Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 07:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The page linked has instructions for installation. Some scripts can save you hours (the disk above took me about a minute)  or do things better that you could do manually so learning how to install them is a very useful skill.

I followed the installation instruction to the letter, but the script is not showing up in layers/transfom or any other menu Ofnuts, I've tried both plugin folders,
I did notice that there was a "query new plugins" pop up while loading Gimp so it seems it's seeing the script, obviously I don't know enough about Gimp to go trouble shooting and I don't want to mess things up, do you have any idea where I'm going wrong?

Layer - Transform - Multi-rotate

RE: Animation - Burnhard - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 03:28 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 01:21 PM)Burnhard Wrote:

Layer - Transform - Multi-rotate
Yes I know mate, I looked in there, it doesn't show. that was the first place I looked.