Gimp-Forum.net
Recolor tool - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Recolor tool (/Thread-Recolor-tool)

Recolor tool - truememestar - 08-18-2017

How do you recolor a specific color without messing up another color?
Every time I try to recolor something, it colors in the border too. This annoys me quite a lot and I would like to know if such a tool exists in the Plugins category or in vanilla GIMP.
(P.S: This is a feature paint.net has, I'm on a macOS, and therefore I cannot use paint.net to complete said objective.)

RE: Recolor tool - dinasset - 08-19-2017

(08-18-2017, 10:36 PM)truememestar Wrote: How do you recolor a specific color without messing up another color?
Every time I try to recolor something, it colors in the border too. This annoys me quite a lot and I would like to know if such a tool exists in the Plugins category or in vanilla GIMP.
(P.S: This is a feature paint.net has, I'm on a macOS, and therefore I cannot use paint.net to complete said objective.)

Probably I do not understand the "problem", but simply using vanilla GIMP (select by color, fill with FG color) I got this one, with no impacts on the borders.
[attachment=697]

RE: Recolor tool - rich2005 - 08-19-2017

The stock gimp tools are in Color -> Map menu You might find something there.

This one color exchange

[Image: Eix2Rg7.jpg]

There is at least one filter for replacing colors in the gmic plugin, http://www.gmic.eu That one might not work so well with that image.

As dinasset described, color select, and fill works with the screenshot you posted.
Very rarely that simple. Often you need to cut then fill underneath to eliminate a remaining border of semi-transparent pixels - anti-aliasing used to smooth lines. After cut, increase the selection by a pixel to give a clean edge & fill on a layer underneath.

and it might look like this. http://i.imgur.com/Dxndzdl.jpg

However, there is no noticeable anti-aliasing there, so check the color mode of the original image (or is the one you posted the original?) Look at the top of the Gimp window, does it say RGB or Indexed?

If it is indexed the you can edit the color map directly for any color that is included in the map.
before http://i.imgur.com/GhirjFG.jpg
after http://i.imgur.com/CxX9Q6O.jpg

RE: Recolor tool - Ofnuts - 08-19-2017

(08-19-2017, 07:26 AM)rich2005 Wrote: After cut, increase the selection by a pixel to give a clean edge & fill on a layer underneath.
You can also remove the selection and bucket fill the whole layer with the bucket-fill tool in "Behind" mode. This will automatically fill the transparent pixels (and add exactly the amount needed to the partially transparent ones).

RE: Recolor tool - truememestar - 08-19-2017

(08-18-2017, 10:36 PM)truememestar Wrote: How do you recolor a specific color without messing up another color?

I wasn't intending to change the color of the other countries, I was attempting to color inside the dark green ones without ruining the border.
also, can i turn off anti-aliasing?

this is what i was trying to do
edit: i was trying to color in parts of the dark green without ruining the border, is that a plugin?

RE: Recolor tool - rich2005 - 08-19-2017

1. Click inside the area using the fuzzy select tool to select the area inside the boundary

2. Switch to the paint pencil tool, and paint inside the active selection EDIT just remembered you do not want anti-aliasing, use the pencil tool instead of the paint tool.

[attachment=701]

when complete turn off the selection Select -> None

note: as mentioned earlier, that image has no anti-aliasing so very straight forward.

RE: Recolor tool - dinasset - 08-19-2017

(08-19-2017, 03:11 PM)truememestar Wrote:

I wasn't intending to change the color of the other countries, I was attempting to color inside the dark green ones without ruining the border.

edit: i was trying to color in parts of the dark green without ruining the border, is that a plugin?
used same procedure as before, recoloring parts of the dark green areas
is this close to what you like to achieve?
when selecting by (contiguous) color set threshold=0
this is what I got
[attachment=702]
If you want to create a subarea you hace to draw the new (additional) border first

RE: Recolor tool - truememestar - 08-20-2017

(08-19-2017, 03:49 PM)dinasset Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 03:11 PM)truememestar Wrote:

used same procedure as before, recoloring parts of the dark green areas
is this close to what you like to achieve?
when selecting by (contiguous) color set threshold=0
this is what I got

If you want to create a subarea you hace to draw the new (additional) border first
I'm animating a war, not changing the colors of each country (I can do that easily), they're the same color because they're fighting the same war against the Ottomans (in red, meaning they're an aggressor).

(08-19-2017, 03:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: 1. Click inside the area using the fuzzy select tool to select the area inside the boundary

2. Switch to the paint pencil tool, and paint inside the active selection EDIT just remembered you do not want anti-aliasing, use the pencil tool instead of the paint tool.

when complete turn off the selection Select -> None

note: as mentioned earlier, that image has no anti-aliasing so very straight forward.

thank you